The Sanitation officer will focus on designing, construction, and maintenance of sanitation and hygiene infrastructures while working in close cooperation with other WASH field staff to ensure that related hygiene and sanitation issues are coordinated. S/he will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the sanitation and hygiene components of the Cameroon refugee response.
The Sanitation Officer will:
* Monitoring the status of Sanitation and hygiene facilities and ensuring the timely repair and maintenance of the facilities by coordinating with other WASH members of team and the communities.
* Monitoring and supervising the quality of the construction of sanitation facilities implemented by vendors
* Working closely with the WASH Manager on developing weekly and monthly plans and reports on the implementation of planned sanitation activity
* Coordinating with the other WASH field staff to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
* Ensuring the inclusiveness of all safety/privacy/protection issues in all the WASH facilities constructed at the field level
* Ensure Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment are conducted for all construction and programme activities.
* Assisting the WASH Manager on maintaining an accurate record and taking proper care of all field equipment and material stocks related to WASH
* Assisting the WASH Advisor on making timely request and delivery of all logistic requirement for smooth implementation of sanitation work
* Oversee the distribution of WASH kits at household and community level
* Facilitate community hygiene promotion activities and ensure the inclusive participation of all POCs including children and youth.
* Submit timely periodic reports to Team lead
* Maintain a strong referral system for health and the provision of WASH related services
* Minimum of B.Sc. in the Engineering fields and other related fields
* At least two to three years of experience in humanitarian emergency
* Must have good assessment, analytical, and planning skills.
* Good oral and writing report skills.
* Training/counterpart development skills.
* Ability to work well in the field under difficult and basic conditions
* Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster- affected populations,
* Ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters
* Experience working in emergencies in Cross River and Benue is desirable
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.