Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for One (1) suitable Somali candidate to fill the position of WASH Officer. The position will be based in Eyl-Puntland Somalia. The incumbent reports hierarchically to the FSL Program Manager and technically to the WASH Program Manager.
The WASH officer’s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Objective 1: Organize and follow up WASH related data collection and processing:
- Make planning, control the quality of the work, the timing and the cost
- To ensure all field activities are being undertaken in a responsible and safety conscious manner.
- Follow the project’s advancement by regular visits ;
- Evaluate and update the project’s needs (HR, financial, logistics) ;
- Identify and foresee problems or constraints ;
- Schedule activities according to the project’s planned priorities ;
- Propose solutions or improvements for better performance of the project ;
- Attend WaSH meetings, communicate about the on-going activities
Objective 2: WASH team management:
- Organize the team and ensure team spirit and staff motivation
- Report training needs to the WASH department
- Assist in the implementation of the training sessions on the base and to perform continously self-training to be able to properly train the staff
- Ensure Communication between the WaSH Staff & the rest of the ACF program teams
- Delegate new tasks & responsibilities to the staff when appropriated and ensure the follow-up
- To make staff evaluation, and make proposals to improve the staff capacities
- Ensure the safety and security of the staff , providing timely reporting to the Base Officer any problem encountered in the field
Objective 3: Participate in needs assessments and integrate WASH with other Program Sectors
- Coordinate all WaSH assessments prior to project implementation and during the course of the project
- Liaise with Field Officers in other departments and ensure coherence in activities execution and provide technical assistance when needed by other departments
- With the support of the Programme Manager, disseminate the results of the WaSH assessments to the local stakeholders
- In Consultation with the Programme Manager and the WaSH team, identify intervention areas for program implementations
Objective 4: Information documentation and reporting
- To report (verbally or in writing) to the WASH HOD when it’s necessary
- To produce monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and yearly report on fields activities to WASH HOD
- To produce weekly activities report
- To read, make comments and validate the reports of the staff under his supervision.
- To produce technical documents in English as required by the WASH HOD.
- A university degree with a background in hydrological engineering, water engineering, public health engineering or any other related WASH field of studies.
- 3+ years of experience in project implementation preferably water, sanitation and hygiene or health
Skills and Experience
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office and Engineering Software.
- Good facilitation, analytical, planning and report writing skills
- Good supervisory and organizational skills, good interpersonal skills
- Good knowledge of implementing projects especially wash related
- Self-motivated and reliable
- Experience and knowledge of working with NGOs in agriculture programs in Somalia
- Knowledge of written and spoken English,Understanding of the local language is a must
- Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word and Outlook
- Willing to extensively travel throughout the project area