Vacancy no.: DC/LABADMIN/OSH/P/2018/03
Publication date: 5 September 2018
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 26 September 2018
Job ID: 608
Organization Unit: LABADMIN/OSH
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One Year
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the present vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their candidature online by the above date (midnight Geneva time).
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply:
With the support of the G7, and the endorsement of the G20, a multi-donor Vision Zero Fund has been created with the aim of preventing work-related deaths, injuries and diseases. Action to promote safe and healthy workplaces is necessary to the development of sustainable global supply chains. The Fund will support appropriate action in low-income producing countries by governments, business, social partners and NGOs. Its main objective is to increase collective public and private action aimed at fostering and enhancing concrete prevention activities in businesses operating in low income countries. The Fund’s particular aim is to bring national and international stakeholders together to engage jointly in sectoral activities in a country, for example via action plans for specific sectors, sustainability compacts or similar agreements. The Fund will offer support for the implementation of the multi-stakeholder activities envisaged. This targeted approach will enable the improvement of conditions and practices needed to prevent work-related deaths, injuries and disease in sectors operating in or aspiring to join global supply chains.
Striving to achieve the vision of zero work-related injuries and diseases, the Fund’s approach is to focus exclusively on the prevention of work place accidents and protection from work-related injuries and diseases in sectors operating in global supply chains and the building of needed public sector programmes in countries linked to such global supply chains. Supported actions will focus on bringing together public and private approaches necessary to achieve zero work-related injuries and disease and enhancing comprehensive joint efforts. It will lead to changes and improvement in working conditions and sector and company level practices necessary to achieve vision zero (e.g. sourcing practices, infrastructure and equipment procurement and maintenance, improvement in job skills, development of OSH management systems, training of workers on health and safety procedures, implementation of standards and assessment requirements, creation of company-based safety and health committees and provision of occupational health services) as well as public capacity (e.g. capacity building for OSH regulatory frameworks and inspection institutions, skills development for workers and managers, and know-how for the establishment of national work-related injury insurance schemes).
optional section (if needed)
The VZF is administered by the International Labour Organization (ILO). It is located within the Labour Administration, Labour Inspection and Occupational Safety and Health (LABADMIN/OSH) Branch of the ILO Governance and Tripartism Department.
For more information see www.ilo.org/vzf.
Supervision and Guidance
The Technical Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager of the VZF and the overall responsibility and authority of the Chief, Labour Administration, Labour Inspection and Occupational Safety and Health Branch (LABADMIN/OSH).
Description of Duties
- Assist Programme Manager with the development of new project proposals and preparation of project documents consistent with ILO and donor requirements.
- Assist the Programme Manager in the implementation of projects by providing technical inputs, planning, monitoring and evaluation of project activities. Ensure project implementation is in conformity with ILO policies and project strategies, ILO programming guidelines and country/action programs, and ILO procedures and practices.
- Identify, develop proposals for and assist with the implementation of global VZF activities in connection with the approved programme document and requirements set out in the cooperative agreements with the donors.
- Provide technical and general administrative backstopping to VZF country projects, including progress reporting and monitoring.
- Assist with the drafting of country projects work plans and monitor their implementation; collect, organize and maintain project outputs and evidence of achievement of the project outcomes.
- Monitor and expedite projects’ implementation through discussions with VZF Fund Manager, country project CTAs and LABADMIN/OSH specialists, field visits, analysis of progress reports, and participation in reviews and evaluations. Prepare reports based on the information obtained as an input to corrective decision making and revisions.
- Follow-up on decisions taken during discussions with donors and the VZF Steering Committee, and prepare agreements in accordance with required format for final review and approval.
- Under the guidance of the Programme Manager, maintain close liaison with governments, workers' and employers' organizations, and UN/non-governmental organizations, to discuss matters and follow up on a broad range of country programmes and projects. Maintain working contacts and collaboration with multi-lateral and bilateral donor agencies.
- In consultation with relevant technical units, field offices, administrative services, and donor agency representatives as required, recommend activity sequencing and timeline adjustments for creating synergies with other relevant activities and ensure efficient use of project resources.
- Oversee logical aspects of key project activities and backstopping missions as required, and maintain contact with key project stakeholders.
- Assist the identification and hiring of external collaborators in respect of ILO contracting policies and practices, and appraise completion of their work.
- Provide support on the knowledge management related aspects of the project, including web-based communication on objectives, activities and achievements.
- Participate in workshops and seminars and prepare reports, training materials and presentations as needed.
Advance university degree in economics, social sciences, management, law, international relations or other relevant fields.
At least five years professional experience in the design and implementation of relevant development cooperation projects, including at least three years working at an international level. Relevant areas include: occupational safety and health, labour standards compliance, global supply chains. Recent experience interacting with various donors is an advantage.
Excellent command of English, and good working knowledge of either French or Spanish.
Excellent knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices in developing country contexts including the ability to draft a wide range of documents and reports including project documents, project briefs, evaluation and analysis reports. Proven ability to draft well project documents and evaluation reports, and excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to provide technical advice and to guide and coordinate the work of external collaborators, general service staff and young professionals in the area of specialization.
- Ability to conceptualise and design research techniques and analyse complex cross-national practices and data sets covering a wide range of issues in the specialized technical field.
- Ability to formulate new concepts and methodologies.
- Ability to draft reports and prepare guidelines relating to programme development and implementation.
- Ability to provide technical support to senior specialists, carrying out research, project formulation and implementation.
- Ability to participate effectively in technical missions and to provide technical inputs for the ILO Decent Work Agenda.
- Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of analytical tools and qualitative and quantitative techniques.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive behaviour and attitudes are also required.
Conditions of employment
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/?locale=en_GB
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO Jobs. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now