HIAS seeks a U.S. Programs intern to help respond to the global refugee crisis by working with the U.S. Programs team on initiatives affecting refugees, asylees and special immigrant visa (SIV) holders resettling in the United States. S/he supports the growth and quality of adult education programs throughout HIAS’ affiliate partner network and carries out research on best practices, material development, funding applications, and other opportunities to advance refugee understanding and interaction in their new communities.
S/he is skilled at analysis and thinking critically about adult learning principles, the experience of refugees in the United States and the realities of working within a resettlement agency environment.
• Supports post-arrival staff in research and develops materials in support of refugee resettlement programs (Reception & Placement, Matching Grants, preferred Communities and Refugee AmeriCorps) and/or functional areas (i.e. employment, cultural orientation, and psychosocial/ mental health).
• Supports Pre-Arrival staff in all aspects of pre-arrival case processing, which may include case placement and assurance, case transfers, family reunification (P3 and CAM), and AOR.
• Carries out research in support of improved and expanded CO programming at HIAS with affiliate partners.
• Assists in the creation of the HIAS Cultural Orientation Handbook and adapting the handbook with interested partners.
• Located funders and assists with funding applications to dedicate funds to CO development at HIAS and within interested affiliate partners.
• Provides support to the Associate Director, Grants Management and U.S. Programs team, as necessary.
• Participates in U.S. Programs webinars and conference calls.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree; strong interest in refugee resettlement, human rights, international relations, and immigration.
• Experience with immigrants, asylees, and/or refugees preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, analytical and written communication skills; critical thinking and cross-cultural communication skills strongly desired.
• Detail oriented; ability to handle various tasks in a fast paced environment.
• Foreign language proficiency preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working in 14 countries across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMPLIES WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL EMPLOYMENT LAWS.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to our website, http://www.hias.org/career-and-internship-opportunities
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel