The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking an Urban Disaster Management Delegate (m/f/d).
The delegate will support the Regional Program Coordinator, based in Yangon in the implementation of the Regional Urban Disaster Risk Reduction & Urban Response Program. The program focuses on the urban centres of Kathmandu, Dhaka and Yangon and strengthens earthquake and emergency preparedness capacities of the Host National Societies in all three cities.
The short-term mission is linked with the thematic area “Humanitarian action in urban areas” of the German Federal Foreign Office financed “Global Project 2”.
Duration: 3 months
Location: Dhaka Bangladesh with travel to Myanmar and Nepal
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Conduct a needs assessment on humanitarian assistance and preparedness, including:
- an analysis of the capacity of local partners regarding humanitarian assistance in urban context,
- a context analysis of urban environments relevant to local partners,
- an overall analysis of needs and gaps of local partners to work efficient and effective in urban context,
- field visits to Myanmar Red Cross Society in Yangon as well as to Nepal Red Cross Society in Kathmandu in order to compare capacities and framework conditions and strengthen inter-organisational learning,
and mapping of:
- tools and approaches used by local partners in urban areas,
- thematic networks and platforms and their potentials,
- ongoing funding initiatives and flagship projects in Bangladesh with an urban focus,
- ongoing partnerships on humanitarian action in urban context,
- National Government / City Governments on urban strategies,
- universities and research institutes working on humanitarian assistance in urban areas or related fields.
Develop recommendations together with local partners based on the findings of the needs assessment;
Support the organisation of a regional workshop on Urban Disaster Risk Reduction & Urban Response.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the field of emergency relief and/or development programs including Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Management;
- In-depth understanding of and proven experience in integrated programming, community based approaches and its mainstreaming;
- Profound understanding of humanitarian action in urban areas and conflict settings;
- Ability to translate global and national policies into the operational level;
- Ability to document lessons learned, case studies etc. and use best practices to inform the policy level;
- Strategic thinking, hands on mentality and in depth understanding of the humanitarian system (including RC/RC movement);
- Highly developed networking and diplomatic skills;
- Profound understanding of ‘localization’ and partnership work / partner driven cooperation;
- Experience in working with local partners, including in an advisory and coaching role, and engaging in high-level strategic discussions;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member;
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles, previous experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is an asset;
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner;
- Oral and written fluency in English, any relevant additional language is of advantage;
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments, working experience in the Asia-Pacific region is an asset;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions';
- Valid Driving Licence.
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.