The UNIC New Delhi is the principal source of information about the United Nations system in India and Bhutan. The information centre is responsible for promoting public understanding and support for the aims and activities of the United Nations by disseminating UN information to a local audience; engaging local and regional partners; and, overall, bringing the United Nations closer to the people it serves.
This National UNV post in Bhutan will work with both the Office of the Resident Coordinator (RC0) – 50% - and the UNDP team – 50%.
The Office of the UN Resident Coordinator (RCO) facilitates and supports overall actions at promoting Delivering as One (DaO) and the UN reform agenda at the country level. The main areas relate to development; implementation and monitoring of the UN One Programme 2014 – 2018; deepening the actions of the UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes (AFPs) on Delivering as One, including identification of joint programmes among UN AFPs (“One Programme”); harmonization of operational and financial procedures (“Operating as One”); improving common communications around the One Programme (“Communicating as One”); and undertaking joint resource mobilization for the Bhutan One Fund and AFP programmes (“One Budgetary Framework”). The RCO has an instrumental role in putting in place a UN Communications Group in which all agencies participate, and which improves joint communications around a common work plan with a view to effective communication on the results achieved by the UN in Bhutan.
UNDP Bhutan country office has its development programme structured under the two broad areas of Environment and Livelihood; and Governance & Advocacy Programme.
The Environment & Livelihood Programme supports the government in the mainstreaming of pro-poor environment, employment & income generation, biodiversity conservation, access to affordable energy technologies for rural communities and creating environment for private sector growth. UNDP provides cross sectoral technical support to enhance national capacities to address emerging environmental concerns into national policies, plans and programme helping the government meet its commitment to International Environmental Agreements. UNDP has also been supporting mainstreaming disaster and climate risk reduction into national polices, disaster risk management initiatives for better disaster preparedness and response.
To ensure transparent, accountable and inclusive development, the Governance & Advocacy Programme supports decentralization of local governance systems through capacity development and e-governance at local and national levels; improved support to anti-corruption efforts & public service delivery; and engagement with media and civil society to promote people’s right to information.
As a responsive development partner, UNDP continues to work together with the government and the people of Bhutan to enhance GNH, reduce inequalities, build resilience, empower the disadvantaged and contribute to effective development results through innovative partnerships, cutting-edge global knowledge, and technical and financial resources.
Sustainable Development Goals: 17. Partnerships for the Goals
UNV Focus Area: Securing access to basic social services
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the joint supervision of the Head of the RCO and the Deputy Resident Representative of UNDP Bhutan, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks, with technical support from UNIC, New Delhi:
- Assist with the planning of outreach strategies, in organizing and implementing special events and information campaigns, coordinating with relevant partners to highlight and publicise activities such as UN and UNDP specific report launches, commemoration of international days and observances, etc.;
- Assist in overseeing the translation of UN and UNDP specific information and documents, such as backgrounders, blogs, press releases, messages of the UN Secretary-General, op-eds, leaflets, etc. into Dzongkha and/or local languages of the work region; provide assistance (coordinating, proofreading, printing, etc.) in the production and delivery of public outreach products and services in local languages;
- Assist in electronic outreach by updating the relevant content portions of the Bhutan UNCT and UNDP Bhutan web sites and official social media accounts, including: the drafting and editing of content by identifying and preparing new material for posting after researching various information sources for relevant material and cross-checking information with author offices as required; structuring and preparing new pages, incorporating graphics and/or photos as needed; identifying documents to be updated on the web sites and posting information on official social media accounts. He / she will also be responsible for sharing relevant web contents with UNIC, New Delhi and ensure UNCT’s and therein UNDP Bhutan’s visibility in the UNIC website and other social media pages;
- Act as the focal point for media coverage of important events in coordination with and under the guidance of the RC and UNCT members; identify appropriate UN information materials, including press releases, for targeted dissemination to the media and other clients under the guidance of the supervisor; respond to media inquiries received in person and/or via mail, email, phone and fax. Assist in the development and maintenance of close contacts with representatives of media, civil society organizations, educational institutions, and other UN partners in the work region;
- Provide communications support to the RC, UNDP DRR, and visiting UN officials by assisting in organizing press briefings, drafting press releases, talking points, and backgrounders and monitoring media coverage;
- Assist the RCO and UNDP Bhutan with knowledge management: producing required reports, such as the daily press review, the daily headlines, the activity report, etc.; manage, update and further develop internal databases; generate a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases as requested by UN Headquarters;
- Under the guidance and in close collaboration with UNCT, and with technical support from UNIC New Delhi, prepare the UNCT Joint Communications Strategy for the next One Programme (2019 – 2023), including ensuring effective communication and advocacy of current UN activities and positions;
- In close collaboration with relevant staff of UN AFPs, format and package programme communications initiatives for sharing with development partners; and
- Any other task assigned by the supervisors
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take an active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Mechanisms in place for producing required reports for UNCT;
- Balanced coverage and distribution of information to relevant stakeholders of all UN activities, including balanced visibility of all UNCT agencies;
- More unified and joint approach to UN communications;
- Monthly UNCT newsletters; and
- Annual UNCT Country Results Report
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of communications tools and techniques essential to providing effective support to public information activities and communication campaign programmes, especially in India and Bhutan. Ability to research and gather information from a variety of sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
Education – Bachelor's degree
Type of degree:Communication, journalism, public information, public relations and/or international relations
Required Experience: Minimum 5 years of experience communication, journalism, public information, public relations, international relations or related area is required.
Experience Description:Experience utilising social media in a professional context is required. Experience in providing communication support to an office of the United Nations common system or a comparable international organization is desirable.
Language Skills:English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of Dzongkha and other languages spoken in Bhutan is highly desirable. Knowledge of other official United Nations languages is an advantage.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.