II. Organizational Context
Under the direct supervision of the UNODC LPOMEX Programme Management Officer, the National Programme Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation of all activities related to the management of the Programme Unit (PU) and will contribute in areas related to programme planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation. The incumbent will act as Deputy for the Programme Unit.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
The National Programme Officer will be responsible for contributing to the LPOMEX programme management, field office management and policy advise to national counterparts at the federal, state and municipal level. His/hers tasks will contribute in leading the work of the Programme Unit as well as the Office of the Representative on key programming matters.
Programme management and project development (80%)
- Support the Programme Management Officer in all aspects related to the efficient functioning of the Programme Unit (PU).
- Prepare reports related to the programmes and projects implemented by the LPOMEX (Spanish and English).
- Interact and liaise with UNODC headquarters unit’s relevant for the daily operation of the LPOMEX.
- Ensure that all Office's activities are programmed and implemented from a single approach, avoiding overlaps and information loopholes.
- Act as focal point with the Independent Evaluation Unit and provide support to the LPOMEX project’s to ensure that evaluations are carried out on time and in line with the IEU standards.
- Prepare presentations and documents for counterparts, donors and key stakeholders related to the LPOMEX projects and programmes.
- Maintain regular programmatic consultations with LPOMEX managers and support staff to ensure that the projects implemented respond to an overall national strategy and respond to the LPOMEX vision.
- Provide support to middle managers and managers in the implementation of their projects to ensure the proper follow-up of UNODC’s process and mandates, compliance with the rules and regulations, and make sure that the overall programmes are implemented under strict quality standards.
- Participate in meetings with government officials, donors, potential donors and key stakeholders for the LPOMEX.
- Provide advice to the Programme Management Officer in matters related to the operation of the PU, the LPOMEX and relevant topics in Mexico under the UNODC mandate.
- Prepare documents for the PU and Office of the Representative related to the LPOMEX and its operations in the country.
- Coordinate the organization of Senior Management Team Meetings and Program Coordination Meetings (agenda, minutes of meetings and follow-up).
- Support the operation of the LPOMEX new organizational structure.
- Monitor the implementation of the LPOMEX workplan and annual achievements.
- Follow-up on the LPOMEX thematic focal points to ensure that the information is prepared and revised (by Senior Managers) so it can reach the Representative.
- Participate in needs assessment, programming, and other technical missions as requested.
- Take part on behalf of UNODC in inter-agency meetings and thematic groups within the United Nations System in Mexico as designated by the Representation of the LPOMEX
- Take part in negotiation processes with donors and counterparts to identify new areas of opportunity for the LPOMEX, draft project documents and follow-up on new initiatives.
- Act as Deputy of the Head of the PU.
Perform other work-related duties as required.
IV. Impact of Results
The results achieved by the National Programme Officer will have a direct impact in the successful operation of the Programme Unit and the overall implementation of the LPOMEX portfolio.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on national statistical systems
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, team work, results-oriented management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of a project
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Foster open communication within its staff and all parties involved in the project
- Demonstrates strong written communication skills
- Demonstrate high level of responsibility and creativity
·Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Law, Criminal Justice, Political Sciences, International Relations, Political Analysis, Public Administration or related fields.
Up to 10 years of relevant experience in the provision of international cooperation (design, implementation and evaluation of technical assistance projects).
Experience within the United Nations System.
Knowledge of the national and regional context in the areas related to UNODC mandate.
Fluency in English and national language of the duty station
Must be a Mexican in full exercise of their rights or a foreigner whose immigration status allows for work authorization.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension