UNDP Pacific Office (PO) in Fiji, serves 10 countries directly.UNDP in the Pacific has three focus areas:
The UNDP PO in Fiji also coordinates regional initiatives and policy advice in 15 countries covered by the three UNDP offices in the region (Fiji, Samoa and Papua New Guinea).
The UNDP PO programme is guided by the Sub-Regional Programme Document (SRPD) (2018 – 2022) for the Pacific Island Countries and Territories. The SRPD outlines a programme strategy aligned with the vision of the Pacific Leaders, contributes to the achievement of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and forms part of the UN Pacific Strategy 2018-2022 (UNPS).
The Effective Governance Programme has begun implementation of the United Nations Pacific Regional Anti-Corruption (UN-PRAC) Project, a joint UNDP/UNODC programme, now in its second stage (2016– 2020). The Project focuses on assisting Pacific Island Countries to tackle corruption through ratifying and implementing the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) and in line with Sustainable Development Goal 16, assisting those Pacific Island Countries that have ratified UNCAC to undergo the peer review process and strengthen their policies and institutional capacities, and it supports non-State actors in increasing social accountability.
Under the direct supervision and technical guidance of the UNDP and UNODC Regional Anti-Corruption Advisers, the Project Manager (P3) will work with the UN-PRAC team to ensure implementation and coordination of activities under the joint UNDP-UNODC UN-PRAC Project portfolio.
The technical specialist will be based in Suva, Fiji with travel to other Pacific Island Countries.
Provide managerial expertise to the UN-PRAC Project team in developing, implementing and reporting on Project activities in accordance with the Project Document and in line with UNDP and UNODC policy and procedures:
- Provide inputs to development of work plans, including implementation and monitoring according to the Project results and resources framework;
- Contribute to corporate planning, evaluation and results reporting (UNPS, CCA, SRPD, Regional Programme Document, ROARs, IWPs, Regional Project Boards, donors, etc.) of UNDP and UNODC;
- Manage the UN-PRAC Project, including budget, in both UNDP and UNODC systems of ATLAS and UMOJA/ ProFi, and in line with UNDP and UNODC policy and procedures;
- Responsible for the coordination and compilation of the UN-PRAC Project Reports (FPSP, SLIP, PPEI, Regional, ProFi) to UNDP, UNODC and donors through the inputs of both UN agencies;
- Provides background papers, briefing notes and concept notes to inform decision-makers to engage in a comprehensive, long-term approach to UN-PRAC development in the Pacific;
- Oversee hiring processes for the expertise required for Project needs: draft Terms of Reference for experts and other requested documentation related to the areas of the Project intervention, approve the progress against the working targets, monitor performance and report on results accordingly.
Ensure inter-agency coordination by two UN agencies in the implementation of UN-PRAC and across the Effective Governance portfolio and across the UNODC Regional Office for Southeast Asia and the Pacific (ROSEAP) portfolio:
- Facilitate inter-agency coordination between UNDP and UNODC under the UN-PRAC Project and more broadly, between UNDP PO and ROSEAP;
- Draft policy recommendations to improve the management and inter-agency coordination of UN-PRAC processes in the Pacific;
- Ensure that the UN-PRAC Team is well linked to and complementary of UNDP and UNODC interventions in the Human Rights area, as well as focuses on gender mainstreaming throughout the Project, where possible
Contribute to development of strategic partnerships, implementation of the resource mobilization strategy and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Maintaining effective and positive communication with national counterparts from Government, Parliaments and non-State actors, as well as with other stakeholders, as necessary;
- Liaison with key development partners, implementing partners and collaborating partners as needed in UN-PRAC activities;
- Active contribution to the overall UN-PRAC Team and Project effort in resource mobilization;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice in close collaboration with the Communications Team;
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Assess project-specific M&E frameworks and ensure that the monitoring and reporting requirements for the Project are met consistent with UNDP’s POPP, including on planned evaluations in collaboration with IRMU and UNODC’s Independent Evaluation Unit;
- Contribute to the harmonization of UN-PRAC under UNPS Outcome Group 5 and as necessary, contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework and on behalf of UN-PRAC, liaise with Resident Coordinators’ Offices in the Pacific on UN-PRAC related activities and efforts.
Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Education: Master's degree in social policy, law, public policy, politics, development studies or a related area.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in programme and project management, strategic planning, sustainable development policy, and/or resource mobilization in the context of development cooperation;
- Proven project management experience, preferably within UNDP, UNODC and/ or another UN agency, with sound knowledge and experience in all aspects of project cycle (design, implementation, reporting, monitoring & evaluation);
- Proven experience in inter-agency joint programming and/ or joint programme management and collaboration;
- Demonstrated understanding of governance topics and especially anti-corruption related areas is preferred, with proven experience of integrating cross cutting issues such as in the Sustainable Development Goals, human rights and gender is required.
- Knowledge and experience of working with countries in the Pacific ideal.
- Excellent knowledge of donor policies and funding modalities. Knowledge of UNDP and UNODC programming practices is an asset.
Language Requirements: Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension