Under the direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the UN Coordination & Programme Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends and provides inputs to preparation of country programming products including the Common Country Assessment (CCA) and United Nations Strategic Partnership Framework (SPFs), the formulation of programme activities in close collaboration with programme staff in other UN agencies, and supports the development of national strategies, joint programmes and monitoring of progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the UN Reform. This is supplemented by support to, and management of, UN events and initiatives led by the Resident Coordinator and/or the Country Team (UNCT) in addition to media support and implementation.
The UN Coordination & Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the Agencies, UN Development Group staff, technical advisors and experts, and supports the RC Office functions to ensure its efficiency and effectiveness.
Summary of key functions:
· Effective support to UNCT in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products, including CCA and SPF
· Support advocacy of UN activities
· Implementation of communications strategy and outputs
· Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
· Facilitation of knowledge building and management
· Implementation of programme strategies
· Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country, writing of multiple progress reports.
· Participation in the work of the CCA and SPF Working Groups and Results Groups.
· Support to the organization of UNCT meetings and retreats as necessary.
· Support to the development of the annual workplans and reports.
· Analysis of requirements and support to proposals on UN programmes, identification of strengths and weaknesses in UN Agencies programmes in the context of SPF, UN Reform and SDGs.
· Maintenance of information on RC system and other development partner activities.
· Arrangement of regular forums and events on issues related to UN activities with media, NGOs, civil society, etc.
· Support for implementation of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with UNIC and direct supervisor.
· Drafting of press releases, speeches, background documents and correspondence (emails and letters).
· Supervise the management of the UN website and online presence.
· Maintaining and monitoring media relations.
3. Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for programme implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Analysis and research of information on private sector donors, preparation of reports on private sector donors at the national, regional and global levels
· Preparation of substantive briefs on country trends, possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Identification of sources of information related to coordination.
· Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to country policy goals.
· Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
· Organization of training to UN staff on coordination issues.
5. Ensures implementation of programme strategies led by the Resident Coordinator, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
· Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the practice area specialization assigned.
· Design and formulation of some parts of country office (CO) programme within the area of responsibility, translating UN priorities into local interventions.
· Initiation of a project, presentation of the project, participates in recruitment processes
· Application of conceptual models in support of programme design and preparation of inputs for reporting, including partners’ reporting.
6. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RC office focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Supervise and support maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
· Support efficient and discreet management of the RC schedules.
· Organization of regular and ad-hoc meetings; preparation of minutes and summaries of actions to be taken; tracking of progress on planned issues; follow-up with focal points.
· Preparation of high quality briefing materials for RC appointments, meetings, missions press release and informal translations as required.
· Supervise maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
· Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of RC for his/her signature and following-up when required.
· Supervise maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
· Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Unit.
· Any other business
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
Results-Based Programme Development and Management (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
Building Strategic Partnerships (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
· Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
· Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategy
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise (For UNDP and UN Coordination)
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
Global Leadership and Advocacy for the UNCT’s Goals (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
· Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
· Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
· Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
· Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
· Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
· Self-development, initiative-taking
· Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
· Effective communication
· Event management
· Managing conflict
· Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
· Informed and transparent decision making
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences, Law or related fields;
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related fields and second degree in law or equivalent postgraduate studies.
Up to 2 years of relevant experience in providing advisory services, consultancy, report writing.
Experience in organizing events and meetings with high level experts and dignitaries is advantageous
Experience in writing reports, press releases and briefs is advantageous.
Hands-on experience in design and monitoring of development projects is advantageous.
Knowledge about nonprofit international organizations, the UN and UN Resident Coordinator system would be an advantage.
Fluency in English and working knowledge of Arabic desirable but not required.
Bahraini & non-Bahraini
Bahraini nationals and non-Bahrainis may apply.
Final short-listed candidates will have to go through a UNDP Test.
*The United Nations is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting a diverse workplace.
Full Terms of Reference and details may be downloaded from: http://www.bh.undp.org/content/bahrain/en/home/operations/jobs
Interested and qualified candidates are required to create a personal profile through the link provided above and to attach the CV and an application letter for the job; noting that only electronic applications submitted through the website, no later than 25th Janurary 2018 to be considered.
Applications that do not meet job requirements will NOT be considered.
The Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in the Kingdom of Bahrain is an employer committed to gender equality and to providing equal opportunities for all.
Contract Duration: 1 year renewable
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now