- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country including managing the support of the UNCT for establishing Dev-Info in coordination with relevant national counterparts.
- Coordination on behalf of the UN RC of the CCA Thematic Group activities and draft CCA preparation.
- Provision of secretarial support to the UNDAF Working Groups ensuring full participation UN Agencies, Government, civil society, multilateral and bilateral institutions and coordination of the draft UNDAF preparation.
- Establishment of effective mechanisms for monitoring UNDAF implementation based on the UNDAF Results Matrix and the UNDAF Monitoring and Evaluation Plan in consultation with UN Agencies, Government, civil society, multilateral and bilateral institutions. Monitoring of the activities of the UN Theme Groups.
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses in UN Agencies programmes in the context of UNDAF, UN System reform and MDGs. Provision of advice on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities, cost-effective and efficient implementation of joint UN programmes, common services and other UN functions.
- Development of strategies, policies and programmes in close consultation with UN Agencies aimed at reaching the MDGs and establishment of the system for monitoring the progress towards the MDGs and Global Conferences.
- Information provided in a timely manner and action points arising from field coordination are followed up on with appropriate stakeholders and ensuring RC/HC’s role and ‘visibility’ is enhanced.
- Establish positive working relationships with all relevant operational actors in the field, including international and local aid organizations and local authorities where appropriate
- Facilitate and participate in monthly field based inter-agency coordination mechanisms.
- Share information in a timely manner with all coordination stakeholders.
- Monitor and report in a timely manner on ongoing reconciliation initiatives.
- Identification of relevant stakeholders in ongoing reconciliation initiatives.
- Identification of potential opportunities and means for RC/HC to engage in the reconciliation process
- Provide mediation role to address issues that affect the humanitarian community
- Facilitate and participate in missions that aim to improve humanitarian access.
- Coordination of the RC Work Plan, reports and proposals for funding preparation.
- Coordination of substantive preparations and support provided for UNCT retreat to review the annual workplan and other UNCT meetings.
- Monitoring of the Support to the Resident Coordinator (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities. Approval of expenditures reports.
- Maintenance of the systematic information on RC system activities.
- Implementation of the outreach strategy for partners of the UN system.
- Management of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with UNIC
- Preparation of speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the Resident Coordinator system, in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals.
- Identification of national policies and institutions that require strengthening to ensure effective UNDAF implementation and provision of advice in close consultation with UNCT.
- Establishment of electronic and other systems for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
- Full compliance with UNSECOORD requirements on security. Participation in the work of the UN Security Management Team.
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
- Identifies country needs and strategies using a fact-based approach
- Sets performance standards, monitors progress and intervenes at an early stage to ensure results are in accordance with agreed-upon quality and timeframes and reports on it
- Makes use of a variety of resources based on UN/UNCT priorities to achieve results, such as cross-functional teams, secondments and developmental assignments, and collaborative funding approaches
- Oversees and documents the process of strategy formulation for programmes at country level
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UN/UNCT’s strategic agenda
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other international organizations to the UN/UNCT’sstrategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UN/UNCT’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Effectively attentive to programmatic synergies in inter-agency meetings
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Generates for regional and innovative ideas and effective solutions to problems
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Documents successes and uses them to project a positive image
- Develops detailed knowledge and understanding of key donors, their priorities and areas of interest and adapts content and approach of resource mobilization activities to their requirements
- Builds and maintains relationships with donors demonstrating professionalism in providing advice and information on UN activities and sensitivity to donor concerns
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Arabic will be a advantage.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. For more information please click here and here.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension