Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the UN Coordination Associate supports the execution of services in the Office of the Resident Coordinator by managing data and facilitating UN activities’ implementation. The UN Coordination Associate promotes a client-oriented approach and support to communication in the RC Unit and in the UNCT.
The UN Coordination Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams of the UN Agencies and UN Development Group staff and DOCO in HQ for resolving complex UN programme-related issues and information delivery
Summary of key functions:
- Support in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products.
- Support preparation and implementation of the RC Work Plan.
- Effective advocacy of UN activities.
- Support to the implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures effective support in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of researched information for preparation of various country programming products and processes. Presentation of information/ reports for identification of areas for support and interventions.
- Support in planning and coordination of preparation of strategic programming documents and background papers in cooperation with the direct supervisor. Design and maintenance of various databases on implementation of common programming implementation.
- Monitoring and provision of assistance to inter-agency working groups and committees.
- Monitoring the implementation of the UNCT strategy to support national implementation of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
Supports preparation and implementation of the RC Work Plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of inputs to the RC Work Plan/ reports.
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payment from the Support to the Resident Coordination (SRC) fund and other funds for UNCT activities.
- Review of the RC funds expenditures and reporting to the direct supervisor. Preparation of required budget revisions drafts.
- Upon delegation of responsibility, preparation of vouchers and requisitions in Atlas, entering vendors information.
Provides support to effective advocacy of UN activities in close consultation with UNIC and the information / communication focal points of the UN system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of information on RC system activities. Maintenance of the UN website.
Provides support to the implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection and presentation of information on donors and maintenance of donors database.
- Track and reporting on mobilized resources for UNDAF implementation.
- Provision of technical and logistical support to missions of agencies without field representation.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt on coordination;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall UN programmes efficiency. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the Resident Coordinator Office. The information provided facilitates decision making of the UN Resident Coordinator and UNCT.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UN’s advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Maintains databases of donor information;
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Resource Mobilization (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Providing information and documentation to resource mobilization
- Records information on donor contributions/funding in a timely, organized and accessible manner.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise (For UNDP and UN Coordination).
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals (For UN Coordination)
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UN’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a network of contacts in the media and civil society, for use in UN’s advocacy efforts;
- Support the identification of opportunities for advocating for UN’s mandate
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Secondary Education. University Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- 3 years of relevant experience will suffice for holders of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension