- Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office and the Office of the Senior Human Rights Advisor in Sri Lanka in the areas of transitional justice, accountability and reconciliation
- Lead the engagement with other UN partners and agencies in the design, management and implementation of projects related to human rights, transitional justice and reconciliation under the UN Peacebuilding Fund Programme and the Joint Programme for Peace (JPP). Under the guidance of the Senior Human Rights Advisor, and in coordination with the Peace and Development Advisor collaborate with relevant civil society partners in the design, management and implementation of projects related to human rights, transitional justice and reconciliation under the UN Peacebuilding Fund Programme and the JPP.
- In particular, contribute to the integration of a victim-centric approach and a gender perspective in transitional justice measures and projects under the UN Peacebuilding Fund Programme and the JPP.
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the UN in Sri Lanka in delivering in the areas of transitional justice, accountability and reconciliation, in particular through the UN Peacebuilding Programme and JPP.
- Support reporting and other programmatic requirements pursuant to the UN Peacebuilding Programme and JPP in the areas of transitional justice, accountability and reconciliation, including with donors and other partners.
- Demonstrates commitment to the UN’s Mission, Vision and values
- Understands the UN system reforms and UN agency reforms
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Excellent communication skills in English (both Written and Oral)
- Excellent communication skills in Tamil (both Written and Oral)
- Strong organization skills and ability to work with little supervision
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning
- Advocates effectively
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies
- Excellent communication skills, excellent writing skills
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm and in control under pressure
- Builds relationships with internal and external partners
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Master’s degree or equivalent in law, international development, social sciences, public administration or other relevant field with relevant experience on human rights, transitional justice or reconciliation (5 years).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in law, international development, social sciences, public administration or other relevant field with relevant experience in human rights, transitional justice or reconciliation (7 years).
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in human rights, transitional justice, reconciliation
- Relevant experience in project management, including related to human rights, transitional justice, reconciliation
- Excellent English and Tamil language drafting and communications skills.
- Creative thinking
- Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors.
- Knowledge and sound understanding of peacebuilding and gender related issues is an asset.
- Excellent understanding of the local context.
- Fluency in English and Tamil, proficiency in Sinhala is an advantage
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One Year (on renewable basis)