Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free .
The Graphic Designer/Assistant will support advocacy campaigns and research promotion related to Freedom House’s global publications and programmatic work. He/she will support the Communications and Publications teams by creating graphics, marketing materials and some written content to support and enhance Freedom House’s web and social media presence. The Graphics Assistant will assist with graphic design and website management. He/she should have a passion for Freedom House’s mission and be able to design within an established brand identity while proposing new and innovative ideas.
This position reports to the Senior Web and Social Media Editor and requires a commitment of 30 hours per week for a minimum of 24 weeks starting in Summer of 2019, with option for extension based on performance.
- Bachelor’s degree (or currently enrolled student) in communications, journalism, design, international relations, political science, marketing, design or related field (additional experience may be recognized as substitute for Bachelor’s degree)
- 1+ years of communications, public relations or graphic design experience (previous internship experience also considered)
- Experience creating graphics and editing photos in Adobe Photoshop, and some familiarity with either Adobe Illustrator or Adobe InDesign
- Experience with the creation and management of time-sensitive materials
- Familiarity with using Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook in a workplace setting
- Experience with social media promotion using Twitter and Facebook
- Able to think creatively and have an eye for innovative graphic opportunities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and command of the English language are required
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work and multitask to meet tight deadlines
- Interest in international human rights and/or international relations
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and content management systems like Wordpress and Drupal
- Experience with, or an interest in simple data visualizations including basic charts and graphs
- Familiarity with any type of plug-and-play design apps such as Canva, Adobe Spark, Piktochart or Infogram
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in creating branded graphics for a range of Freedom House communications campaigns including: infographics, social media graphics, website graphics, and gifs
- Maintain visual consistency for Center communications materials across multiple platforms, including websites, newsletters, social media, videos, and publications (both digital and print)
- Write and edit engaging, well-crafted content for social media, websites, email newsletters, press releases , and more
- Coordinate with the Publications’ teams in creating content and data visuals for social media related to report releases and current events related to Freedom House’s work
- Assist with updating and maintain Freedom House’s blog, and adding charts and tables to reports
- Provide administrative and logistical support for day-to-day functioning of the Communications Team, including some web analytics, metrics, and media relations tracking documents
- Other related duties as assigned
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Qualified candidates must complete an online application and submit all of the following:
- Cover letter
- Short writing sample (1000 words or less).
- Three (3) different graphic design examples attached to the application. Files can be in either as PNG, JPG or PDF file formats. These must be your own original work created in Photoshop or in another graphic design tool. Examples include flyers, brochures, logos, custom artwork, social media promotional images like posts or Facebook Cover Photos, illustrative images, etc. Links to portfolio websites will also be considered as supplementary application material.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in the US.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.