Vacancy no.: CALL/P/2018/39
Publication date: 27 November 2018
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 12 December 2018
Job ID: 833
Organization Unit: SME
Contract type: Fixed Term
The ILO is issuing a call for expression of interest for the above position. This is an assignment of a purely temporary nature, not expected to lead to a career in the ILO. Duration is 12 months non renewable.
The selection process is not subject to the rules and procedures defined in Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
The following are eligible to apply:
- Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations. The Office will facilitate the temporary re-assignment of a selected internal candidate to this position.
- External candidates. A selected external candidate will be issued with a 4.2 (e) contract.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply and will be given special consideration at the screening and evaluation stage.
The ILO values diversity among its staff. We welcome applications from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
Applications from qualified candidates from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future, would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: http://ilo.plateau.com/icontent/CUSTOM/ilo/HRD_PMDOCS/Non_Under_States_EN.pdf
The position is located in the Small and Medium Enterprises Unit (SME) of the ILO’s Enterprises Department (ENTERPRISES). Within the Department’s mandate to promote sustainable enterprises, the SME unit seeks to unlock the potential of creating more and better jobs in small businesses - a sector which provides the bulk of all employment. The unit is working with governments, social partners, the private sector as well as other relevant stakeholders and partners on improving the enabling environment, delivering entrepreneurship education and training, integrating small enterprises into local and global value chains, and improving working conditions and productivity in SMEs (for more details see www.ilo.org/sme).
Key products of the SME unit are the “Enabling Environment for Sustainable Enterprise” business environment work (www.ilo.org/eese), the “Start and Improve Your Business” (SIYB) management training programme(www.ilo.org/siyb) , the Women Entrepreneurship programme (www.ilo.org/wed) and the Value Chain Development programme that adopts a systemic approach to development and addresses the underlying constraints for income and job creation (www.ilo.org/valuechains). This position would support the different work-streams in terms of establishing partnerships and improving external communication. The person appointed will closely collaborate with PARDEV-ILOs donor relationship department, DCOMM, the communications department, ILO field offices and other relevant ILO technical departments in Geneva.
The position will report to the EESE Global coordinator, within the SME unit
The position will serve as a central entry point for the unit’s external partnerships within the UN, with other technical and donor agencies. The staff member is expected to proactively assist different content teams in establishing new partnerships and improving communications in line with ILO Decent Work Country Programmes and strategic priorities. The work would focus on private sector development projects paying particular attention to enabling business environment, enterprise formalization, start-ups, micro, small and medium sized enterprises and job creation with linkages to other thematic work areas of the ILO. The position would also work on being a knowledge management hub for fundraising, keeping track of the current project portfolio, the project pipeline, donor priorities in the area of work and ILO field office efforts in development cooperation. One key area of interest would be to mobilize partnerships in order to support the EESE work, core to ILOs Sustainable Enterprise strategy.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Proactively search for new partnerships for SME development work. This should pay special attention to opportunities in the area of business environment improvement and informality/formalization of MSMEs.
2. Assist in developing a communications strategy for the SME unit vis a vis external actors, including UN agencies, SME development practitioners in other technical agencies and donor agencies
3. Work with all technical teams in the unit in the development of new content driven partnerships and liaise with relevant partners in- and outside the ILO
4. Contribute to the communications of the SME unit in line with the 100 years celebration of the ILO with a specific technical focus on micro and small enterprises and their role in job creation
5. Set up and maintain a database with key data and priorities of partners for specific countries, in consultation with PARDEV
6. Develop new project ideas with technical teams and sister units in the department. Draft or help drafting relevant project documents in full compliance with donor requirements and ILO internal rules and regulations.
7. Participate in field missions for technical assistance in SME development, improving communications and for project preparation
8. Undertake other duties as required.
First level degree in economics, economic geography, business or in other social sciences related to the subject matter. A master’s degree would be an advantage.
At least two years of relevant professional experience, including one year at the international level assisting in backstopping technical cooperation projects in the private sector development field. Demonstrated experience in building partnerships and a good understanding of SME development would be strong advantages. The candidate should have experience in drafting proposals.
Excellent Knowledge of English. Working knowledge of another official language (French or Spanish) would be advantage
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely, and prepare project proposals, reports and studies.
- Ability to identify problems and make recommendations
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good financial and quantitative skills
- Project cycle management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to carry out assignments in accordance with instructions and guidelines.
- Ability to use analytical tools and qualitative and quantitative techniques.
- Ability to conceptualise, plan and conduct straightforward research work.
- Good computer skills
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO People. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 2 to 4 weeks following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now