Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Operation Cell Paris, eHealth Unit has the mandate to promote and advance secure, efficient, and effective use of health information from MSF operational activities and help to inform future health information technology initiatives. The Unit supports the ability to capitalize on available information to make appropriate and timely management decisions and rationalize reporting requirements by refining how data is gathered, used and shared. The Units work spans the entire development lifecycle from analysis of needs to deployment and long-term use of those systems and applications. The Unit has the responsibility to look to the future and further develop its information management capacity and systems, including better incorporation of the use of new technologies, to facilitate informed decision-making to adapt its humanitarian response to constantly changing situations.
The eHealth Unit team members are based in Paris, New York or in field missions and transverse between the operations, medical and IT departments. The Technical Lead for Electronic Medical Records functions as a core member of the eHealth team under the supervision of the eHealth Unit Director. The Technical Lead for Electronic Medical Records will be responsible for configuration of the forms and setup of master data in the EMR, along with setting up of users and access rights, infrastructure setup and deployment of EMR software on servers, and support of EMR in hospitals and projects in the field. This will include setting up and maintenance of software environments and applications while conforming to OCP standards and ensuring international policies, including procurement, configuration, security and backup policies are in place and adhered to.
Provide technical (software and informatic) expertise for the entire lifecycle of EMR implementation in MSF projects
Work with end users to configure and support adoption of EMR in MSF projects
Play a key role in new product development, help shape direction of EMR feature set for MSF projects
Design and occasionally write small pieces software to help manage and automate the complexity of running an EMR in MSF projects
Implement internal and public facing documentation on Github and the eHealth wiki
Ensure, along with entire eHealth team patient, data protection steps are implemented
o Oversee and carry out the configure data capture forms and fields in EMR based on finalized metadata using JSON, CSS and SQL skills, these include:
§ Configure drug lists, diagnosis lists, lab test lists, disposition lists, bed layouts, and other master data in the EMR
§ Configure and updates concepts, and concept sets based on finalized metadata
§ Configure discharge and visit summary display controls and widgets using JSON
§ Oversee the setup of users and associated access rights and privileges
o Queries the EMR databases to generate reports and performs additional analyses and interpretation as required
o Ensures efficient and error free data migration from existing applications and spreadsheets by writing migration scripts using scripting languages
o Debugs issues using Unix commands and queries databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
o Works with eHealth Unit Technical Administrator on infrastructure setup and maintenance activities, data backups and steps required for software deployment and roll-out
o Liaison with external technology collaboration on enhancement, new development and support
o Ensure release plans are communicated within MSF and are adhered to
o Measures and communicates progress toward goals, determines and implements any necessary corrective actions.
o Identifies issues affecting work progress, raises them to project stakeholders using appropriate channels, and recommends solutions.
o Prioritizes product risks, develops mitigation plans and actively monitors risks.
This position will be based out of the Paris office 10-15% of the time, with travel to the OCP headquarters offices in New York. Additionally, this position will have 40-50% travel to MSF projects.
· 5+ years’ experience in health informatics, electronic medical records or digital health applications
· Experience in coding SQL scripts and Unix shell scripts is a must
· Knowledge of Java and Python programming languages is a must
· Deep know-how in deployment, troubleshooting and maintenance of servers such as Tomcat and Apache
· Demonstrated knowledge of web applications and database is a must
· Extensive real time experience deploying and troubleshooting MySQL, PostgreSQL and other open source databases
· Strong minded with the ability to have an opinion and healthy debate with the executive team, but maturity to present a unified front once a decision is made.
· Self-starter with a strong sense of ownership and follow through skills who displays a passion to test and deliver solid service.
· Impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
· Excellent time management skills and the ability to perform under pressure.
· Ability to handle conflict, difficult situations, and urgent issues in a professional manner.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams;
· Willingness to travel up to 50% of time for first 6 months, then 30-40% of time
· Evidence of strong communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement;
· Comfortable with travel to resource limited settings; able to function well in a challenging, dynamic environment
· Fluency in English is required, French or Arabic is preferred
Full Time Exempt
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary high 80s to low 90s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %