HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities (PwDs) as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of conflict in Yemen. With the support of different donors, HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation centre in Sana'a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid (including specifically for children), supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to war affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
In parallel, HI is implementing an inclusion and protection mainstreaming project, to increase the knowledge and capacities of the staff International NGOs in the inclusion of the most vulnerable persons in their humanitarian response (including PwD), so as to increase their access to essential services.
In addition, the mission has also expanded its sector of intervention through Risk education and Cash support. Eventually, the set-up of advocacy mechanisms considering the country and regional environment is another major goal of the mission.
While all of HI activities were done so far in Sana’a governorate, HI is about to expand its activities in the Northern part of the country including Hudaydah and in the Southern part of the country including Aden.
RESPONSIBILITY 1: TECHNICAL SUPPORT
- Support and coordinate the provision of training to the physiotherapists through direct provision of formal training, supervision, practical analysis and on the job trainings when in the field.
- Providing continuous technical support to the rehabilitation and social worker staff in field of expertise
- Providing technical support to the logistics department in your field of expertise, ensuring technical validation of rehabilitation related devices, items and equipment
- Designing technical tools, trainings, leaflets, protocols and other relevant documents and disseminate them among the mission upon prior validation by HQ Technical Advisor
- Technical support in the project implementation and development
- Support in the recruitment of national rehabilitation staff
RESPONSIBILITY 2: REPRESENTATION AND EXTERNAL COORDINATION
- Representation of HI towards local authorities
- Participation in all kind of coordination meetings locally (in Yemen) or in/from Amman
- Report any relevant information related to rehabilitation matters to relevant stakeholders
RESPONSIBILITY 3: PROGRAM STRATEGY; IN CLOSE LINK WITH THE REHABILITATION PROJECT MANAGERS AND PROGRAM COORDINATOR
- Analyzing physical rehabilitation existing resources (Health Facilities, Operational Coordinator, with the inputs of the PMs)
- Ensuring the technical relevance and quality of HI intervention related to your field of expertise
- Ensuring delimitation of the emergency rehabilitation intervention
- Ensuring coordination and coherence of our intervention amongst local and international actors, avoiding duplication and promoting complementarities
- Participating in continuous physical rehabilitation needs assessments for new projects to be developed/adaptation of the existing projects
RESPONSIBILITY 4: TEAM MANAGEMENT & CAPACITY BUILDING
- Ensure strict application and respect of the Internal Regulations by his/her related staff;
- Manage the team under his/her responsibility: set individual objectives, make the appraisal of team members, ensure disciplinary measures are taken when necessary, identify training needs, etc.;
- Supports his/her team members in their management duties and professional development;
- Ensure a good communication – coordination – information level to his/her team members;
- Coordinate the technical capacity building for staff members in coordination with the HR department;
- Follow the nationalisation process for relevant positions: support the identification of the adequate national candidate, create capacity building plan and follow up on its implementation;
RESPONSIBILITY 5: REPORTING
- Facilitate regular technical reporting to the Technical Unit Coordinator upon request;
- Contribute to the monthly situation report by providing relevant data on your sector’s activities;
- Support in donors reporting on the technical aspects
- Degree in Physical Therapy
- At least 5 years of professional experience in Physical Therapy
- At least 3 years of professional experience in humanitarian context, preferably in emergency
- Proven experience of training and technical supervision in field of rehabilitation care with NGOs, preferably in emergency context
- Remote management experience is an asset
- Previous experience with Handicap International at Field level an advantage
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills is expected
- Proven organisational skills is necessary
- English is mandatory (oral and written)
- Arabic would be a strong asset
- Self confidence
- Strong interpersonal and multicultural skills
- High level of autonomy and initiative
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Sense of humor
- Diplomacy sense