HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities (PwDs) as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of conflict in Yemen. With the support of different donors, HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation centre in Sana'a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid (including specifically for children), supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to war affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
In parallel, HI is implementing an inclusion and protection mainstreaming project, to increase the knowledge and capacities of the staff International NGOs in the inclusion of the most vulnerable persons in their humanitarian response (including PwD), so as to increase their access to essential services.
In addition, the mission has also expanded its sector of intervention through Risk education and Cash support. Eventually, the set-up of advocacy mechanisms considering the country and regional environment is another major goal of the mission.
While all of HI activities were done so far in Sana’a governorate, HI is about to expand its activities in the Northern part of the country including Hudaydah and in the Southern part of the country including Aden.
RESPONSIBILITY 1: TECHNICAL SUPPORT
- Participate to contextual and needs assessments upon the request of your line manager.
- Contribute to the design/adaptation of technical tools adapted to the specific context at base level
- Ensure the technical relevance of HI emergency intervention related to rehabilitation support of individuals;
- Ensure direct technical support on HI rehabilitation approach ;
- Ensure the technical quality and performance of domain related HI field staff
- Providing technical support to the Project Managers and Project Officers in your field of expertise;
- Supporting the Project Managers in the recruitment of physiotherapists;
- Provide technical support to field staff through technical supervision of Physiotherapist and direct field visits;
- Provide technical support to the Logistic Department in your field of expertise: mobility aids and other related items, etc;
- Monitor and maintaining compliance with standard HI guidelines related to your field of expertise;
- Design technical tools, trainings, leaflets and other relevant documents and disseminate them among the mission;
- Support the Physiotherapy Trainer in his/her duties, and directly provide training to the teams in your field of expertise, following a training calendar upon validation by the Technical Coordinator;
RESPONSIBILITY 2: CONTRIBUTE TO MAINTAIN THE QUALITY OF REHABILITATION SERVICES BY HI IN YEMEN
- Provide support to your line manager in designing/review the HI strategy in the country
- Contribute to define /review HI- strategy of intervention in Yemen in the field of rehabilitation;
- Support the Technical Coordinator to ensure the coherence of the intervention in your field of expertise
- Participate in potential assessments for new projects to be developed;
- Participate in external coordination meetings such as the rehabilitation Working Group as required.
RESPONSIBILITY 3: STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT OF THE PROJECT
- Support the project manager in the definition of their objectives, activities, targets according to the context of intervention and the programme rehabilitation strategy.
- Contribute to the technical adequacy between modalities of intervention & needs
RESPONSIBILITY 4: INTERNAL & EXTERNAL COORDINATION
- Ensure good internal coordination between technical and operation teams
- You participate in the Technical Unit coordination meetings and workshops.
Regular coordination and communication with the rehabilitation coordinator :
- Ensure good internal coordination between sectors, promoting a comprehensive approach
- Ensure close collaboration with other health actors
RESPONSIBILITY 5 : REPORTING
- Support the teams to produce regular reports on HI activities (newsletters, case studies, etc);
- Participate to the monthly situation report (SITREP) by providing relevant data related to your position
- Provide the desk officer with a mission report and/or handover document at the end of your contract
- Degree diploma in Physiotherapy
- At least 10 years of professional experience as a physiotherapist
- At least 5 years of professional experience in humanitarian context, preferably in emergency and war rehabilitation contexts;
- Previous Technical support in Physical Rehabilitation is mandatory
- Proven Physical Therapy tools designing skills;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills is expected
- Proven organisational skills is necessary
- English is mandatory (oral and written)
- Arabic would be a strong asset
- Self confidence
- Strong interpersonal and multicultural skills
- High level of autonomy and initiative
- Ability to work under high pressure