- The strategic direction of effective governance programme
- Management of the Solomon Islands effective governance/peace building programme and supervision of the programme team
- Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNDAF (UN Pacific Strategy), CPD (Sub-Regional Programme Document), CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation.
- Operationalization of UNDAF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies.
- Analysis and presentation of effective governance and peace building policies and their implementation.
- Business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
- Regularly touch base and coordinate with the Team Leader of Effective Governance in the Fuji office to ensure coordination and synergies.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. The Programme Team Leader performs the function of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided to projects in close collaboration with the Operations Manager.
- Provide day to day supervision of the assigned unit;
- Report to Management on progress of Programme targets and issues relating to programme.
- Provide management oversight of all the project funded staff including deliverables.
- Provide overall management oversight of all the projects under mandated unit to ensure delivery is on target to achieve the priority areas in the Integrated Work Plan or IWP;
- Provide policy and technical advice on programme issues of significance to the office; identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects.
- Perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects;
- Lead initiation of a project, provide substantive technical support to the development and revision of programme and projects proposals, and when relevant with inputs from technical experts, lead drafting of the proposals.
- Ensure presentation of the project to Project Appraisal/Advice Committee (PAC), entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects in a timely manner.
- Substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and programme issues, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NIM projects;
- Follow up with clients on audit recommendations and provide support to PSU to address audit gaps.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes as required. Annual preparation of Results Oriented Annual Report for unit.
- Develop strong working relationships with Implementing Partners and provide direct oversight and management of national and regional projects.
- Represent UNDP in in UN-initiated activities and associated Technical Working Groups of relevance to assigned area of work.
- Contributions to HACT and IPSAS compliance and assessments as required in collaboration with the Financial Resources Management Services (FRMS) Unit in NY.
- Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Assess project-specific M&E frameworks and ensure that the monitoring and reporting requirements for all projects are met consistent with UNDP’s POPP, including on planned evaluations in collaboration with IRMSU in Fiji.
- Development and implementation of partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Prince2 training and certification, RMG
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in programme management, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension