The overall goal of “Public Administration Reforms and Digital Transformation” project is to provide support to the Government in implementation of its national development agenda on PAR and Digital Transformation with the aim to deliver public services with greater accountability, transparency and responsiveness to citizen’s needs and ensure better access to legal information. In a parallel, the project will assist the Government in its strategy to increase the IT outsourcing capacity with the aim to create more job opportunities and increase the quality of life and living standards of the population of Uzbekistan.
The goal of the project will be achieved through the following activities:
- Assistance to support further reforms of public administration;
- Support in improving access to government data and public services;
- Strengthening national capacities in the areas of digital government, Information and Communications Technologies, and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics).
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Project Manager and working in close collaboration with Cluster on Good Governance, Policy and Communication, the Task Manager on Digital Transformation will coordinate project’s activities related to digital transformation of public services, streamlining internal and interagency business processes of government agencies, development of digital platforms and introduction of innovation and digital solutions to public administration.
The Task Manager on Digital Transformation will undertake the following specific duties:
- Coordinate project policy research and other related activities on digital transformation agenda and streamlining public service delivery;
- Designing national policy documents and strategies, research and policy papers within the project;
- Analyze and synthesize relevant analysis and experience on international best practice on digital transformation, innovation, e-governance and relevant areas in public sector reform;
- Develop the necessary partnerships with government departments and agencies to gain access to core data on digital transformation policies and strategies;
- Identify partnership opportunities and support the project resource mobilization activities related to the project activities in digital transformation and innovation by developing solid policy proposals and reports to donors;
- Undertake ad hoc research tasks as may be required by Project Manager; this may include involvement in training activities for the national partners, both as mentor and trainer on digital transformation, e-governance, data driven governance, etc.;
- Review capacity of central/regional governments and agencies in digital transformation, innovation, data analysis and public administration to effectively develop and implement mandates and functions;
- Contributes to the implementation of the project activities related to digital transformation, analyzing and reporting their impact;
- Contributes to identification of new strategic initiatives and opportunities in the area of digital transformation and innovation by scanning the external environment, research new sectors and trends, identifies and maps expertise in and outside UNDP, maintains contacts with experts and updates information on expert performance;
- Identify opportunities for enhancing capacities, including learning and adaptation of best international practices in e-government development and implementation, as well as innovation in public administration system;
- Develop clear and concise terms of reference for national and international consultants engaged within the project;
- Revision and final technical clearance of the final draft reports provided by national and international consultants of the project;
- Lead the organization of special events such as hackathons on open data, Technovation Challenge, trainings and master classes on STEAM, mobile application development and others;
- Support in enhancing public awareness of project activities’ findings through organization of briefings, round-table discussions, seminars, workshops, online discussions, forums, etc;
- Actively promote knowledge sharing, including through preparation of regular project publications, briefs, infographics, one-pages, and other knowledge products;
- Carry out regular coordination meetings with relevant UNDP staff, Government and donor counterparts;
- Assist the project manager in project management, planning and implementation;
- Perform other duties as assigned by Project Manager within the scope of this position.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team leader and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
1) Communications and Networking
- Strong persuading, influencing, communications and writing skills;
- Conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Understanding of government partners’ workflows and agendas;
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
2) Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Actively mentoring project experts and consultants under her/his supervision;
- Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focus on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Competent in leading team and creating team spirit, stimulating team members to produce quality outputs in a timely and transparent fashion.
3) Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
4) Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Knowledge of digital transformation and current approaches within the industry;
- Demonstrated knowledge of information and communication technologies and their impact in private or public sector institutions;
- Objectivity and ability to analyze complex situations in regards to organizations digitally transforming their work and provide concrete recommendations for action;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate diverse contributions from multiple actors into a coherent service or product within the scope of an organization’s digital transformation;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
5) Leadership and Self-Management
- Demonstrated sense of initiative and problem-solving skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- University degree in international development, public or business administration, economics, IT, engineering or related area.
- At least 3 years of policy research on digital transformation, ICT development, innovation and relevant area.
- Experience in delivering training and mentoring on digital transformation is a strong asset.
- Previous professional with international development organizations will be an asset.
- Fluency in English, Russian and Uzbek.
- Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource;
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines, ethics and honesty;
- Understanding of digital transformation, innovation issues and transactional public service delivery reform
- Understanding of development issues, human rights (including women’s rights), basic gender concepts and gender issues in the country;
- Knowledge of and experience in gender mainstreaming is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 6 months with possible extension (subject to satisfactory performance)