The Secretariat of the WTO is seeking to fill a position of Systems and Operations Engineer in the Systems and Operations Section of the Information Technology Solutions Division.
WTO's data centre is located on its premises and consists of 60 physical servers and around 100 virtual servers. Enterprise storage solutions are based on NAS and DAS. The Systems and Operations Section is responsible for support and operations of this environment and is handling all 2nd level support with occasional evening and weekend work within agreed maintenance windows. The Section is responsible for 800 desktop and 300 virtual desktop related tasks of imaging, application packaging and deployment including update of these client environments.
Reporting to the Chief, Systems and Operation Section, the Systems and Operations Engineer will undertake the following responsibilities:
1. Service owner of the two critical infrastructure services: Server Virtualisation, Server Operating Systems (Microsoft Windows and Linux Redhat).
2. Coordinate implementations of services; guarantee availability and capacity; create documentation and standard operating procedures for this service(s) including disaster recovery procedures. The incumbent should also serve as backup service owner of other infrastructure services (e.g. Data Centre server hardware, Enterprise Storage solution, Enterprise Backup solution, VDI).
3. Assist in the day-to-day operations of the infrastructure involving monitoring, pro-active maintenance, problem solving, providing 2nd level support by responding to incident and change requests, coordinating 3rd level support within existing support contracts as well as assisting in the optimisation of existing services. The incumbent, after a short integration period will be required to work independently and assume the assigned responsibilities. This will require regular interaction with IT Service Desk and other sections within the ITSD.
4. Assist the other System and Operation Engineers and Project Managers within the Section on specific tasks assigned related to Infrastructure projects.
5. Assist in the execution of security response actions. This occasionally requires work outside office hours.
6. Perform any other task within the Section to contribute to the work plan of the Section.
An advanced university degree with specialization in IT Systems and Operations or basic university degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field combined with work experience equivalent to an advanced university degree.
|Knowledge and skills: |
Excellent knowledge and experience at the level of an enterprise environment of similar size as described under General Functions, ideally with a recognised certification on:
- VmWare vShpere 5 and 6, ideally on a hyperconverged solution.
At least basic knowledge in two of the following areas at the level of an enterprise environment of similar size as described under General Functions, ideally with a recognised certification in the following:
- Microsoft Active Directory: DNS, DHCP, domain management, OU and GPO management, security permissions management.
- Server OS: Microsoft Windows Server (all versions from 2008 - 2012R2) and Linux Redhat.
- Server hardware management (Intel based servers) and server operational management solutions.
Good working knowledge of the following:
- LAN/WAN and Internet technologies as well as TCP/IP protocol
- Windows7 and Windows10
- ITIL processes especially Incident, Change and Problem Management
Working knowledge of the following will be considered an advantage:
- Citrix XenDesktop
- NAGIOS server operational management
- Linux Redhat in Enterprise environments
The incumbent must have the ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a demanding situation and make sound decisions. He/she must be capable of working under stress and in an autonomous manner.
The following interpersonal capabilities are required: ability to present technical facts to knowledgeable specialised audiences; to persuade others to a point of view using fact; to establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues; to communicate information in a clear way; to make technical presentations; to work as a member of a team while working independently to achieve his/her objectives.
|Work Experience: |
At least three years' experience pertinent to the functions and the size of Operations described in "Knowledge and Skills".
Excellent knowledge of English, including an ability to write accurately and concisely (documentation, procedures, processes) and make presentations if requested. A good knowledge of French will be considered as an advantage.
|Additional Information: |
The position may be offered at a lower grade if the selected candidate does not fully meet all the required qualifications.
Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.
The WTO may use various communication technologies such as video or teleconference for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. The recruitment process may also involve the use of various forms of testing, assessment centres, interviews and reference checks.
Candidates not selected whose performance in the selection process nevertheless shows them to be suitable for a similar position may be kept on a roster for up to 18 months, and may subsequently be called upon as and when the need arises for additional resources.
|APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO SIT A WRITTEN EXAMINATION|
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.|
|Please note that all candidates must complete an online application form.|
To apply, please visit the WTO's E-Recruitment website at: erecruitment.wto.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
|All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the |
closing date - Central European Time (CET) - stated in the vacancy announcement.
|Currently accepting applications|
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel