COOPI has been present in Sudan since 2004. The recent history of Sudan is marked by strong disorders and violence, expressions of a civil war that on several occasions has shaken the country since its independence. COOPI’s interventions focused in the Darfur region that for a long time has been the scene of armed clashes and particularly hit by periods of severe drought. To allow the management of these activities and to ensure access to basic services for the population, different interventions were carried out, in the field of water-hygiene and food security both on humanitarian and development perspective.
COOPI is now looking for a Project Manager in order to strengthen COOPI presence in the country and, in particular, to implement new projects in the field of WaSH, Environment and Climate Change.
Position: Project Manager
Refers to: Head of Mission
Duty station: El Fasher (Darfur) with occasional missions to Khartoum head office
Field of intervention: WaSH,
- The Project Manager is responsible for the overall development, management and quality of the project;
- Referring to the Head of Mission, he/she coordinates and directly supervises projects, guaranteeing their correct implementation in conformity with contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with the COOPI’s procedures and management standards;
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of projects’ reports and all monitoring documents requested by coordination department;
- He/she identifies and supervises the financial and economic commitment required for the project implementation;
- He/she is responsible for the local staff management and training, in his/her area/sector of competence, in close cooperation with the relative functions at Country Coordination level, whose indications he/she follows;
- He/she participates to the staff evaluation, together with the Area Coordinator or Head of Mission;
- He/she guarantees ordinary contacts with operational and institutional interlocutors involved in the implementation of the project;
- He/she ensures good visibility of the projects’ overall goals, policies and envisaged and/or results achieved as per COOPI and donor communication policies;
- He/she coordinates the elaboration, writing, and necessary documents preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Head of Mission and project development team;
- Ensure the respect of COOPI’s Code of Conduct, confidentiality and humanitarian principles within the relevant sector team;
- Represent COOPI in related working groups and other meetings with national, local and international actors in the assigned geographical area;
- Organize regular field/onsite visits to ensure technical support to the staff and proper monitoring of the activities’ implementation;
- Any other duties as agreed with the Head of Mission.
- At least 5 years of relevant field experience in humanitarian or early recovery programs;
- Proven expertise in WaSH, Environment and Climate Change project implementation and management;
- Previous experience in the MENA region is an asset;
- Sound knowledge of international donors procedures, in particular EU/ECHO;
- Experience with cash activities is an asset;
- Excellent reporting writing skills;
- Able to manage a high workload and meet tight deadlines;
- Strong staff management skills;
- Experience in running a project in a post-conflict situation is an asset;
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking capacity;
- English mandatory (excellent level written and spoken);
- Adequate resilience to stress, positive thinking and solution-oriented;
- Familiarity with the Darfur context is an advantage;
- Team player and with a good sense of humor.