Subject Matter Expert (Agriculture), Midterm Evaluation of the Gomal Zam Dam Command Area Development Project (GZD-CADP), Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI implements nearly 100 projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year performance management support contract – PERFORM to Management Systems International (MSI). Under PERFORM MSI provides monitoring support, evaluations, assessments, and learning support services to USAID. These services provide evidence-based data and information and high-quality analysis that USAID program managers use to target resources and inform project design and implementation to improve project results and achieve objectives.
****Please note: Only Pakistani citizens are eligible for this position. **
MSI is seeking a subject matter expert in agriculture for a midterm evaluation of the Gomal Zam Dam Command Area Development Project (GZD-CADP). The project is a $34 million USAID-funded government-to-government (G2G) project designed to improve water use efficiency and agricultural productivity in 191,000 acres of irrigated land in the Gomal Zam Dam command area through integrated development of on-farm water management, productivity enhancement, introduction of high value crops and livestock, processing, and effective marketing. The evaluation will examine the design and management of the project with the objective of identifying issues that USAID should consider in future G2G projects. It will also explore the project's contribution to achieving its development objectives.
The assignment team will include a team lead, subject matter experts, local researchers, and other support staff as necessary. The agriculture expert (agriculture) will bring technical expertise to all technical aspects of the evaluation, including document review, evaluation design, planning, implementation, and data analysis and reporting.
The evaluation will begin on or about March 25, 2019 and conclude on or about the end of June 2019. The anticipated level of effort for the subject matter specialist (agriculture) is approximately 65-70 days.
Under the guidance of the team lead and in collaboration with the evaluation team and PERFORM staff, the expert will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Review relevant background documents to develop an understanding of the project;
- Participate in the team planning workshop to refine the evaluation design, data collection instruments, a data collection plan, and a data analysis plan;
- Contribute to preparing for and delivering a briefing with USAID staff prior to field work;
- Schedule and conduct interviews with project stakeholders and beneficiaries and prepare detailed notes in English;
- Review the work of research assistants and assist the team lead in ensuring the quality of interim work products;
- Participate in analysis of qualitative and quantitative data;
- Identify and document findings, conclusions, and recommendations on area(s) assigned in the evaluation;
- Contribute to preparing and delivering a presentation of evaluation results to USAID and implementing partners;
- Participate in validation activities with stakeholders, as requested by the Mission and/or PERFORM; and
- Contribute to preparing the evaluation report and briefing papers, as required.
- Other tasks as assigned by the team lead or PERFORM staff.
- At least a master's degree in agricultural economics or another relevant field with at least 10 years of professional experience; or a Ph.D. with at least 5 years of experience.
- Expertise in agricultural production systems in KP, especially irrigated agriculture required. Specific experience in irrigation systems a plus.
- Fluency in quantitative and qualitative research methods required. Knowledge of various data analysis tools such as MS Excel, SPSS, Stata, NVivo, or MaxQDA a plus.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating USAID projects strongly preferred. Experience evaluating USAID or other donor value chain interventions a plus.
- Familiarity with USAID performance management and evaluation processes preferred.
- Ability/willingness to lead a field team and collect qualitative data required. The team will identify final data collection sites during the team planning workshop.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork in KP (Peshawar, D.I. Khan, and Tank) and in languages indigenous to that area required.
- Excellent communication skills, especially in written and spoken English, required.
Candidates that have a real or potential conflict of interest in this evaluation will not be considered or selected for this assignment. MSI/PERFORM will require a written statement to this effect before formal engagement on this assignment. Conflict of interest in this context includes, but is not limited to: close and/or family relations with the individuals that are related to the project, financial interest in the implementing organization(s) or grantees, current or previous experience with the project being evaluated or the USAID requesting office etc.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com