Job Title: Sub-Grants Coordinator
Reports to: Senior Programme Support Manager
Location: London, United Kingdom
Salary: £31,675 (C1)
LOE: Full Time
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, and London, as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
The Sub-Grants Coordinator (SGC) will be based in the Programme Support Team in London and will provide the highest standards of operational programme support to Internews’ Programme Management Units and Field Offices. This role will have a particular focus on grant management and compliance of Internews’ national partners. Within this scope, SGC will administer awards to partners, verify and quality-assure partner’s reports, build the grant-management capacity of field teams, partners and sub-grantees, and facilitate audits.
The SGC will ensure that Internews implements projects in compliance with its own and donor’s policies, rules and regulations. S/he will provide consistent support and advice to partners and field teams, and ensure control and reinforcement of all aspects of the project management cycle as related to effective grant management and contractual compliance. The SGC will contribute to the development of budgets for proposals and ensure donor compliance for their submissions.
The role will report to the Senior Programme Support Manager, and will work in close collaboration with the Senior Programme Finance Manager, Programme Officers and all HQ departments as required. S/he will play a leadership role in improving consistency of Internews’ sub-granting systems and practices. S/he will contribute to the overall programme and operations effectiveness. The role will actively participate in the building of Internews’ credibility vis-à-vis institutional donors. The role may involve regular travel to the projects locations across the geography of Internews’ programmes.
· Works closely with development colleagues in London and elsewhere to support the design of innovative, cost-effective and practical programmes;
· Advises development colleagues on key considerations relating to donor and statutory compliance;
· Contributes to the development of budgets for proposals, particularly partner budgets, and ensures donor and statutory compliance for their submissions.
Grant Management and Donor Interface
· Provides grant management support to PMUs, field offices and partners. Works closely with business managers and Regional Directors to ensure coordination of grant management support. Participates in regional portfolio reviews;
· Supports start‐ups of partner projects by coordinating project stakeholders and ensuring that all relevant processes and procedures are put in place;
· Participates in the recruitment of key grant management positions in the field offices;
· Prepares and conducts inductions and trainings to field staff and partners on grant management. Carries out field visits and calls as necessary;
· Leads on process of due‐diligence in preparation for sub‐granting to local partners. Prepares partnership and sub-granting agreements, making sure that they comply with Internews’s and donor requirements. Checks financial reports from sub‐grantees;
· Builds grant management capacities of local partners, collects and replicates best practices;
· Supports project directors to set up grant management schedules for donor reporting; coordinates quality‐assurance of partner reports in preparation for donor submissions;
· Supports project directors in adapting Internews’ standard sub-granting policies, procedures and toolkits to country contexts. Monitors the compliance from HQ to satisfy organisational and donor requirements;
· Monitors implementation of partner projects to ensure the implementation process is in line with grant agreements; highlights major implementation issues to relevant colleagues in London, PMUs and field offices;
· Provides end-to-end management of partnership agreements;
· Checks financial reports and supporting documentation from partners for budget monitoring and donor compliance; codes expenditure; processes wire transfer requests from partners;
· Supports project directors during the close‐out of partner agreements, provides guidance on required steps and minimal standards;
· Files and achieves project documentation at the HQ;
· Identifies and documents best grant management practices from individual grants, works with M&E colleagues to coordinate debriefings with stakeholders;
· Leads on the preparation and coordination of HQ and partner project audits.
· Provides training to Internews’s grant management staff and partners on organisational and donor compliance;
· Provides briefings to project stakeholders on contractual donor requirements during kick‐off meetings and calls; advices project stakeholders on compliance questions throughout the project cycle as required;
· In collaboration with budget holders and Senior Programme Finance Manager, reviews budget vs. actual. Supports Internews’s grant management staff and partners to produce accurate financial forecasts in accordance with financial reporting cycles and flags significant variances at project management and corporate levels;
· Monitors partners’ activities to address issues early on; contributes to communications to donors as appropriate (including preparation of requests for contract amendment and requests for derogations);
· Tracks partners’ progress in relation to co‐financing liabilities, highlights issues, provides clarifications on rules and regulations around co‐financing;
· Regularly reviews grant management schedules to ensure timely submission of donor deliverables and reports;
· Participates in the annual work planning and budgeting process.
· Provides ongoing feedback to the Senior Programme Support Manager on required improvement and updates on donor regulations and contractual obligations to ensure organisational knowledge is built and improved continuously; Particular focus on the consistence and continuous improvement of sub-granting processes;
· Ensures good knowledge management across grants, including key project documentation, to enable all teams supporting the grant to access information and provide a fully auditable trail.
· Other task as assigned by the Senior Programme Support Manager.
Qualifications and Experience
Solid experience of grant management and donor financial reporting for large multi-country projects with major institutional donors, including the European Commission and SIDA. Proven experience of grant management support in Europe and Eurasia is desirable.
Experience in preparing budget proposals for institutional donors. Experience working with private donors would be an asset.
Professional qualifications or equivalent work experience, in international development and/or project management
Excellent communication skills both oral and written; ability to produce high quality reports and presentations
Proven experience of managing relationships in complex organisations with numerous stakeholders. Good people management skills
Ability to matrix manage a group of staff in different teams to take forward common and effective ways of working
A high level of numeracy skills, and ability to build budgets and carry out complex budget analysis
Solid experience of direct, hands-on delivery of key components of financial and grant management
Proven track record of building capacity of field staff and partners in grant management, donor compliance, and financial management
Experience of travelling to challenging and remote locations. Willingness and ability to travel with an understanding and appreciation of culture and diversity
Exceptional organisational and administration skills, with the ability to plan and prioritise work for self and others
Advanced expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
Proven ability to manage complex, multi-disciplinary programme of work
Experience in managing financial and management accounting processes, including annual accounts, audits and external reporting
Experience of working in, or support field office in developing countries and fragile states
Good knowledge of donor regulations and systems, especially those of European Commission and Sida
Knowledge or experience working in/on Internews’s countries/issues
Good understanding of the project management cycle
Knowledge of good human resources management practices
Creative problem solver: uses creativity to develop new ideas and solutions to problems
Self-starter and dynamic with strong level of self-awareness. Assertive, with the ability to work on own initiative with little supervision
Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
A willingness and ability to adopt a hands on approach as well as to provide strategic direction
Strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels, and represent the organisation externally
Strong analytical, problem solving and creative thinking skills
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now