The UN General Assembly, and all its 193 member countries, in September 2015 adopted a global development vision entitled Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This 2030 Agenda was designed as a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity. It lays out 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets, to stimulate global action over the next 15 years on issues critical to humanity and the planet.
India committed to these SDGs at the September 2015 UN Summit and the SDGs officially came into force on 1 January 2016. The Government of India has actively engaged in nationalizing the SDGs from early 2016. NITI Aayog, the National Institution for Transforming India, has been entrusted with the responsibility of coordinating the efforts on SDGs with ministries and states, indicative of “whole of government” approach. NITI Aayog is also responsible for formulating a vision document expected to be aligned with SDGs. The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) is responsible for providing an indicative national SDG monitoring framework.
The UNDP India Country Programme Document CPD (2018-2022) signed with the Government of India (GoI) aims at transformative change and development impact at scale. In line with this, UNDP has initiated active support to many state governments in mainstreaming SDG’s within their schemes and programmes as a part of an UN system wide to SDG roll out for visioning and planning in India.
In view of India’s commitment to the 2030 Agenda, the Uttarakhand State Government is committed to fulfilling the SDGs targets by aiming to improve the livelihoods of its population with a focus on promoting the tourism activities (home stay and rural tourism), development of hill agriculture (organic farming and horticulture with aromatic and herbal development), promotion of MSME (Food processing, nursery development).
Government of Uttarakhand has signed MoU with UNDP to work collectively for the development of the state including the SDGs. Services of a technical officer are required to lead UNDP’s intervention regarding roll-out of SDGs at the state level. The technical officer is also expected to identify opportunities, develop programmes and their implementation strategies to promote national and state priorities, including the SDGs. The technical officer shall report to State Head , Uttarakhand
Provides support and inputs to strategic planning in line with the priorities and development objectives of the state governments in support of the SDGs through:
A. Support to UNDP programmatic work
- Identifying entry points in consultation with the State governments for SDG localization
- Designing strategies for implementation of SDGs in the states aligned with projects that UNDP can support;
- Identifying opportunities for high value addition/high impact projects, testing of innovative development solutions, and scaling up successful initiatives at various levels State, district or community;
- Undertaking research, writing concepts notes, technical proposals, reports and any other technical document to support the expansion of the UNDP engagement with the State Government in various sectors.
B. Support to research, analytics and and capacity development. Strengthening the capacities for planning and implementation at state and district level, to deliver on key development priorities and objectives;
- Preparing background analysis on SDGs and related issues for partner consultations and high-level meetings with government counterparts, donor community, etc.
- Developing knowledge products for increasing understanding on SDGs at all levels
- Develop and implement customized training manuals and tools for localizing SDGs
- Analysis of SDG-related information and best practices, with emphasis on gender, people with disabilities, the youth and other vulnerable groups
- Identification of data gaps impeding sound and timely data analysis for policy, planning and monitoring and evaluation
- Conduct policy research for identifying areas which need further input for achieving the SDGs by 2030
Support for Stakeholder Engagement
- Engaging other stakeholders, including other UN agencies for disseminating information and creating SDG centric platforms in collaboration with the government
- Promoting synergies between various specialized agencies, think tanks and other knowledge hubs for strengthening linkages with UNDP
- Engaging grassroots level functionaries into preparing SDG centric participatory planning exercise
- Any other work assigned by the supervisor.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
Vision 2030 Document
Level 3: To impress upon the various stakeholders on the issue of SDG and Narmada Mission
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 3: To identify and conceptualize priorities of the government of Madhya Pradesh
Coordination with Different stakeholder
Level 3: Adequate knowledge on writing of project proposals and related issues; knowledge about SDG
- Essential: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience of working with the government at national level or sub-national level in the area of inter-sectoral planning.
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/projects.
- Sound understanding of working of state government departments.
- Exposure to state Planning Processes and annual budgeting exercise of the government.
- A sound knowledge of outcome budget, Green budgeting, plan formulation, resource mobilization, economic analysis, convergence modelling
- Experience in coordination with stakeholders
- Adequate experience of drafting Project Proposals including monitoring tools such as log frame among other
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Working experience with the Government of Uttarakhand
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices.
- Having Exposure to SDG (or MDGs) concept and implementation
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Fluency in English and Hindi is essential.
Remuneration package is Rs. 77,809/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One (1) year with possibility of extension