The Sustainable Financing of Papua New Guinea’s Protected Area Network Project, (the ‘Project’) will extend the Government of Papua New Guinea’s ability to fulfill its protected area mandate and implement its Protected Area Policy and associated legislation. This support aims to ensure:
· Secure, stable and long-term financial resources for the management of protected areas across the country.
· That these financial resources are allocated to contribute to improving the effective management of protected areas across Papua New Guinea (PNG) and their administration balances cost effectiveness and conservation.
In recognition of this need, the Project will assist with the development of a diverse mix of conventional and innovative funding sources and consolidate revenues to finance the ongoing costs of establishing and managing protected areas in PNG. It will assist the Government to establish a Biodiversity Fund. This Fund will be developed as a secure, accountable and transparent financial mechanism for receiving, administering and disbursing such funds. The Project will therefore result in a system that will provide catalytic and long-term financial support that will lead to more stable ecosystems (both within and ultimately outside of protected areas). This includes helping institutions and communities to become supporters and/or facilitators of that process and establishing long-term partnerships with a diverse constituency of stakeholders.
In recognition of the operational considerations and the socio-economic and cultural contexts within which much of the Project will be delivered, the UNDP now seeks a Social and Environmental Safeguards Officer to support a range of initiatives. This Officer will be responsible for, among other things, ensuring:
· Gender issues are taken into account during all capacity building efforts.
· Gender is taken into consideration in the Biodiversity Fund’s governance and management and these considerations are reflected in strategic and operational documents where possible.
· Activities that are implemented are consistent with the Project’s social and environmental risk management plans, cause ‘no harm’ and have a positive net-impact on communities.
The Social and Environmental Safeguards Officer will report to the CTA through the Project Manager. They will sit within a dedicated Project Management Unit based in Port Moresby. Field travel to provincial areas of Papua New Guinea (PNG) will however be required.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the Project’s Social and Environmental Safeguards Officer will be responsible for implementing the Projects’ risk management plan(s), Gender Action Plan and Stakeholder Participation Plan. This will be primarily a technical role supporting Government, communities and the Project team.
1. Overall delivery and coordination on safeguards by:
2. Ensure the implementation of safeguard policies, compliance and monitoring by:
3. Responsible for capacity building by:
4. Knowledge Sharing by:
The Social and Environmental Safeguards Officer is responsible for developing and overseeing environmental, social and corporate governance policies and procedures, as well as reviewing and appraising compliance with UNDP’s environmental, social and governance requirements. S/he works with a Project Management Unit and with consultants to define steps necessary to address compliance gaps as well as identify opportunities to add value proactively, beyond compliance and risk mitigation, and contribute to long-term development impacts sustainably.
· Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
· Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP and Government of PNG.
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
· Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
· Demonstrates sound judgment.
· Self-development and initiative-taking.
· Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
· Facilitating and encouraging open and constructive communication in the team and with stakeholders.
· Creating synergies through self-control.
· Able to manage conflict when it arises.
· Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others.
· Informed and transparent decision making.
· Strong advocacy skills and able to communicate with influence.
· Results-based programme development and management.
· Able to build strategic partnerships and maintain strong relationships.
· Able to innovate and generate new ideas.
· Demonstrates strategic analysis.
· Promotes organizational learning and knowledge sharing.
· Understands and applies fundamental technical concepts and principles relating to the position.
· Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
· Analyses the requirements and synthesizes proposals effectively.
· Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
A Masters’ degree or equivalent in social and/or environmental sectors or related fields. Note – relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a Masters’ degree where a candidate does not hold a higher tertiary qualification.
Important applicant information
All posts in the Service Contract categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now