- Ensure overall smooth implementation of the various components of the Partnership Framework Agreement, in close collaboration with Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy (BERA).
- Support UNDP and Qatar’s cooperation to advance the SDGs on a global level.
- Identify opportunities for cooperation on joint advocacy, knowledge events and policy dialogues.
- Coordinate regular strategic partnership dialogues between QFFD and UNDP to review progress.
- Actively communicate results and impact of the QFFD and UNDP partnership.
- Support Qatar’s participation in the UNDP Junior Professional Officer (JPO) programme, in close collaboration with the UNDP Office of Human Resources.
- Identify and address capacity development needs of QFFD.
- Provide and promote comprehensive capacity development in consultation. with QFFD, local partners, Qatari based NGOs and UNDP. Implement transfer of know-how through a series of training and learning events.
- Support capacity assessments and preparation of capacity development plans, taking into consideration the need of QFFD, local partners, Qatari based NGOs, UNDP and other development partners.
- Advise and support the development of a strategy for building capacity for state of Qatar Local institutions, universities, QFFD partners, local NGOs and Qatari based NGOs.
- Provide policy advisory services and technical support to QFFD, including through development of research, policy briefs and other material, based on UNDP’s global development experience, knowledge and systems.
- Advise QFFD on the design and implementation approaches to achieve QFFD’s strategic vision and objectives.
- Assist QFFD in effectively managing implementation of its ODA.
- Institute robust monitoring and evaluation practices in QFFD.
- Provide QFFD, local partners and Qatari based NGOs guidance to project activities including workshops and training events for increasing coverage and understanding of UNDP’s work on capacity development in various sectors.
- Identify and mobilize partnership opportunities between UNDP, QFFD and other partners.
- Help create a robust network of partnerships, including national and international foundations, private sector, NGOs and government entities.
- Identify and pilot innovative programmes, in collaboration with UNDP’s Global Policy Network, Human Development Report Office and Regional Bureaus, in thematic areas of common interest, including: economic empowerment including youth employment, women’s economic empowerment, reconstruction and rehabilitation, building resilience to crisis; environment and development including renewable energy building; South-South, triangular and other forms of cooperation to promote SDG achievement.
- Provide leadership and oversight to the UNDP Office, including establishing preliminary presence.
- Prepare annual workplans and progress reports as required per UNDP rules and regulations.
- Provide financial and budgetary oversight.
- Coordinate and supervise work of staff.
- Facilitate international transfer of know-how and experiences in the area of sustainable development, by providing access to UNDP knowledge and expertise and access to UN agencies and partners.
- Proactively identify opportunities for networking and information sharing.
- Ensure planning and design of external strategies for outreach.
- Develop and maintain close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the strategy, including organization of roundtable discussions, briefing sessions.
- Create a positive atmosphere for team-based work.
- Disseminate information on best practices as an active member of the QFFD-UNDP global and regional networks.
- Expand outreach of the QFFD and UNDP to national government, local authorities, non-government and international development organizations.
- Facilitate advocacy and promotion of UNDP and QFFD mandate, mission and purpose on capacity development.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to support partner countries' capacity to manage ODA resources effectively and harmonize with national policy and financing frameworks.
- Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions.
- Ability to analyze the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions.
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Knowledge of methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources.
- Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues).
- Master's degree in international relations, public policy, economics, development studies or a related area.
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience related to sustainable development, capacity development, partnership building, resource management, strategic planning, or project management activities is required.
- Experience of fostering, maintaining, and strengthening partnerships with strategic stakeholders is required.
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources is required.
- Knowledge of UNDP and the broader UN System.
- Experience of leading teams in a start-up environment is desirable.
- Proficiency in English required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension