Organization: SGIS-Project Support Team
Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
Job Posting: 2018-10-10, 12:26:58 PM
Closing Date: 2018-11-25, 1:59:00 AM
Duration in Months: 36
Contract Type: Fixed Term - Regular
Probation Period: 1 Year
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for some 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions: A, B and C, for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions: Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services; as well as three Offices: the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services.
The main objective of the Department is to maintain and further develop an effective and efficient verification system in order to draw independent, impartial and timely safeguards conclusions, thus providing credible assurances to the international community that States are in compliance with their safeguards obligations. The departmental operating environment is interactive, participative and dynamic with continuous inputs received from the Board of Governors, the General Conference, policy- and decision-makers, as well as counterparts in Member States and in the international development community.
The Project Section provides ICT services to Safeguards Divisions and Member States. The Section serves multiple roles. It provides business analysis and information architecture services including integration of solutions developed in the IAEA and third-party solutions into the IT environment. It undertakes quality assurance and testing for all delivered products and provides project management services to the Division including contract management.
Under the general supervision of the Head of the Section, the Team Leader, the Senior System Analyst ensures a results-oriented response to the Department's priorities as communicated by the Section Head and the other Divisional management team members. He/she has primary responsibility for one or more multi-year projects and is responsible for multiple smaller cross-cutting projects simultaneously.
The Senior System Analyst is: (1) a substantive specialist, performing the design, initialization, implementation, analysis and management of challenging projects; (2) an adviser to the Section Head and other senior managers in the Department on business processes, feasibility studies, risks, propose strategies and plan for introducing technological changes and solve system implementation issues; and (3) a manager of products and projects, providing advice assistance and supervision of project team members as well as defining, planning and making business cases for projects to develop/implement updated business processes.
Functions / Key Results Expected
With guidance provided by the Section Head/Team Leader, and in close collaboration with the relevant stakeholders, the Senior Systems Analyst is expected to:
- Conceptualize, manage and coordinate the design, implementation and maintenance of new information systems; by preparing project business case, cost estimations, benefit realization and transition to operation.
- Prepare technical and user documentation for entire systems and interdependent applications; prepare training materials and detailed technical presentations; conduct courses for users.
- Coordinate and lead large high-profile IT projects with a high impact on the effectiveness of the Department, including, for some projects, defining and managing work packages for offsite teams.
- Implement new information systems, or enhancements of existing systems and advice on suitability, by providing analysis of information processes and/or technical solutions; by developing project plans in a manner consistent with relevant policies and standards, with the Safeguards technical and information architecture, and with the best practices of project management methodologies; and through the effective use of project management controls to manage risk, quality, budget and schedule.
- Contribute to change management and communication efforts required to successfully adopt new business processes and/or technical solutions, by creating communication and user training plans in the course of executing projects.
- Identify the need for new systems and conducting feasibility studies and translating user needs into systems and applications that can be integrated with existing systems/technology.
- Ensures integration of interdependent components produced by different teams and coordination of multi-layered teams.
- Serve as product manager for existing Safeguards products and services, effectively collaborating with internal clients, third-party providers, and business solutions, infrastructure and service desk staff and management.
- Collaborate with other staff in the Department in the implementation of policies and standards for the IAEA-wide information, project and portfolio management.
Competencies and Expertise
|Planning and Organizing||Plans and organizes his/her own work in support of achieving the team or Section’s priorities. Takes into account potential changes and proposes contingency plans.|
|Communication||Communicates orally and in writing in a clear, concise and impartial manner. Takes time to listen to and understand the perspectives of others and proposes solutions.|
|Achieving Results||Takes initiative in defining realistic outputs and clarifying roles, responsibilities and expected results in the context of the Department/Division’s programme. Evaluates his/her results realistically, drawing conclusions from lessons learned.|
|Teamwork||Actively contributes to achieving team results. Supports team decisions.|
|Client orientation||Helps clients to analyse their needs. Seeks to understand service needs from the client’s perspective and ensure that the client’s standards are met.|
|Commitment to continuous process improvement||Plans and executes activities in the context of quality and risk management and identifies opportunities for process, system and structural improvement, as well as improving current practices. Analyses processes and procedures, and proposes improvements.|
|Technical/scientific credibility||Ensures that work is in compliance with internationally accepted professional standards and scientific methods. Provides scientifically/technically accepted information that is credible and reliable.|
|Information Technology||Project Management||Expertise as a systems analyst, project manager or both, in an information systems context; including expertise in managing high-visibility, cross-cutting activities .|
|Information Technology||Software Development||Expertise in all elements of the Software Development Lifecycle: Eliciting and documenting business process flows, requirements, quality management plans, user acceptance testing and end-user training.|
|Information Technology||Systems Analysis||Expertise in business process reengineering: Identifying opportunities for improvements, proposing new processes, and getting buy-in from stakeholders for implementation.|
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, a related field or a first degree and equivalent work experience.
- Other - Project management certification in PMP or PRINCE2 an asset.
- Other - Information Management Security certification (ISO 27001) is an asset.
- A minimum of seven years of working experience as a systems analyst, project manager or both, in an information systems context, as well as a minimum of two year product management experience.
- Experience implementing solutions to enable information/knowledge sharing using portal technology.
- Experience in business process reengineering: Identifying opportunities for improvements, proposing new processes, and getting buy-in from stakeholders to implement.
- Project management experience using Microsoft SharePoint as a solution or as a key supporting technology.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The IAEA offers an attractive remuneration package including a tax-free annual net base salary starting at US $71332 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), a variable post adjustment which currently amounts to US $ 32456*, dependency benefits, rental subsidy, education grant, relocation and repatriation expenses; 6 weeks' annual vacation, home leave, pension plan and health insurance
Applications from qualified women and candidates from developing countries are encouraged
Applicants should be aware that IAEA staff members are international civil servants and may not accept instructions from any other authority. The IAEA is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. As part of the United Nations common system, the IAEA subscribes to the following core ethical standards (or values): Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for diversity. Staff members may be assigned to any location. The IAEA retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade or with a different contract type, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or for shorter duration than indicated above. Testing may be part of the recruitment process