IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply.
Formulate and articulate public management sector policy and strategies, engage Developing Member Country (DMC) governments in policy dialogue, and undertake ADB's activities to support sector policy and reforms. Lead project development, implementation, administration of loans, Technical Assistance (TAs) projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS) in the public management sector. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
a. Strategy and Planning
- Develop strategies for the public management sector in Southeast Asia Department (SERD), covering areas such as public financial management (including fiscal policy), fiscal decentralization and local governance reforms (including local government revenue mobilization and public debt management), regulatory efficiency and reforms, and other microeconomic reforms [including small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) development], among others, in consultation with relevant government agencies.
- Support the Division explore global best practices and new innovations in public financial management, fiscal decentralization and local governance reforms promoting better investment climate, economic growth and reduced regional income disparities in DMCs.
- Provide strategic support, as needed and appropriate, in other areas related to division's operations.
- Lead policy dialogue to assist governments in undertaking public financial management and fiscal decentralization reforms to ensure better service delivery, improved investment climate, and private sector participation.
- Ensure proper coordination between Headquarters and Resident Mission (RM) for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of public financial management reforms in the Department's programs and projects.
b. Project Management
- Ensure quality and compliance of public management lending and non-lending products and operations related to DMCs.
- Provide guidance, advice and comment on public management in the initiation and development of loan and TA projects aimed at better public financial management systems at the national and subnational level and local revenue mobilization, fiscal policy among others.
- Supervise loan and TA projects in public management, with possibly conflicting stakeholder interests.
- Facilitate effective liaison and coordination with development agencies on program loans.
- Ensure key technical, economic, financial and cross-cutting issues are incorporated into projects.
c. General Country Operations
- Contribute substantially to the preparation of the SERD country partnership strategies and macroeconomic analyses.
- Participate in the country programming and Country Partnership Strategy formulation missions as required.
- Facilitate communications among major stakeholder groups, including the executing and implementing agencies, government and special interest groups from civil society.
- Prepare country operations briefing papers and seminar papers as required.
d. Knowledge Sharing
- Serve as the key focal point for coordination with other divisions/departments concerning public management as related to public financial management, fiscal policy, and fiscal decentralization in DMCs.
e. Staff Supervision
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team's success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Economics, Public Policy, or other related fields. University degree in Economics, Public Policy or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
a. Work experience
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in public financial management, fiscal decentralization reforms, fiscal policy, and other related areas as well as in project administration.
- International experience working in several countries.
b. Technical Knowledge
- Able to steer ideas and projects to improve linkages between public management, regional income disparities and poverty reduction.
- Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community.
c. People and Leadership Skills
- Able to perform effectively as a mission leader or team lead, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary team/unit.
- Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Supervisor: Director, SEPF
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Stay up to date