Council of Europe Office Location: Skopje Job mission Under the authority of the Co-ordinator for the CoE/EU Horizontal Facility and the supervision of the Head of the Media Co-operation Unit, Media and Internet Division, the Senior Project Officer will carry out multiple assignments to help meet the overall and specific objectives of the media Action ‘Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media in South-East Europe - JUFREX 2’ within the framework of the European Union and Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for Western Balkans and Turkey” (Phase II), in compliance with the organisation’s regulations and/or donor requirements. Employment is limited to the duration of the Project which is expected to end on 23 May 2022.
The incumbent performs the following key duties in accordance with the Organisation’s procedures, guidelines
and priorities, with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- plans, organises, implements and follows up on project activities (seminars, round-tables, conferences,
expert meetings, etc.) in accordance with the project work plan, its calendar of activities and in close cooperation with headquarters, local partners and stakeholders;
- ensures quality and relevance of programmes for activities, secures local speakers, prepares
documentation and oversees the preparation by local partners;
- reports any problems encountered; suggests priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- regularly communicates with the European Union Delegation in Skopje and co-ordinates with other
international actors in the country;
- negotiates grant agreements with implementing partners and supports them for the implementation of
the activities, their evaluation and both narrative and financial reporting;
- selects local service providers and negotiates contracts in consultation with headquarters;
- supervises and appropriately instructs the Project Assistant;
- ensures close budgetary follow-up of all project expenditures, in accordance with CoE regulations and
procedures and donor requirements;
- drafts activity and progress (interim and final) reports on the project;
- prepares relevant meetings and draft meeting minutes and lists of decisions;
- prepares mission reports related to programme activities;
This local recruitment procedure is open to applicants already present in North Macedonia.
Only applicants who best meet the following criteria will be considered for shortlisting.
› Completed full course of general secondary education and appropriate professional qualification;
› A university degree in law, journalism, communication or other relevant field would be an advantage.
› At least five years of professional experience contributing to the implementation of technical cooperation programmes relating to media, human rights or rule of law.
› Very good knowledge of one of the official languages (English); ability to express oneself, present and
draft clearly, concisely and convincingly;
› Macedonian mother tongue (or command of Macedonian of mother-tongue standard);
› Knowledge of languages spoken in the region is an asset, in particular Albanian.
› Nationality of host country or one of the 47 Council of Europe member states.
› Under 65 years of age at the closing date of the vacancy notice
› Professional and technical expertise:
- Good knowledge of the overall political situation in South-Eastern Europe;
- ICT skills: sound mastery of office applications (word processing, presentation software, outlook,
- Availability to travel.
› Organisational and contextual awareness
› Planning and work organisation
› Analysis and problem solving
› Results orientation
› Concern for quality
› Service orientation
› Teamwork and co-operation
› Professional and technical expertise
- Experience with projects in the field of media and freedom of expression would be an advantage;
- Good knowledge of Council of Europe stand