Girls Not Brides is seeking a Senior Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean to work with the Head of Latin America and the Caribbean Engagement in coordinating outreach to civil society, spearhead engagement with governments, institutions and stakeholders, and play a key role in the implementation of Girls Not Brides’ strategy in the region. The successful candidate will be bilingual (English and Spanish) and will be based in a Latin American country (home-based).
Contribute to the development and implementation of Girls Not Brides’ strategy in the region
- Working with the Head of LAC, develop and implement strategies for Girls Not Brides’ policy and advocacy work in the region, in line with the Partnership’s global strategy.
- As necessary, manage fact finding and champions’ trips and other engagement opportunities in the region.
Monitor and analyse major policy developments related to child marriage in the region
- Monitor, analyse and document policy developments and opportunities relating to child marriage in selected focus countries, identifying lessons learned and drivers of progress, including through regular liaison with Girls Not Brides members, partner organisations and National Partnerships, and trips to focus countries.
- Write briefs, blogs posts and other materials on developments in the region.
- Monitor regional or national research and share via the resource centre, website, etc.
Support members in the region and promote joint action
- Ensure that global lessons-learned and approaches inform the work of members and partners in the region.
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to Girls Not Brides’ members and national partnerships and other CSO groups working to end child marriage in selected countries in the region.
- Working closely with the Partnership team, provide critical support to strengthening the capacity of Girls Not Brides members, National Partnerships, and partner civil society networks to successfully take part in policy change in their countries.
- Encourage and facilitate information-sharing and joint activities between members, including by supporting and co-organising meetings, webinars and conference calls of members.
- Manage region-specific communications to members, including advocacy opportunities, potential newsletter, etc., and contribute to other learning and communications products as appropriate.
- Working with other teams within the secretariat, contribute to highlighting the work of Girls Not Brides members in LAC and ensuring that LAC members are able to engage meaningfully in the broader work of the Partnership.
Engage with selected regional intergovernmental organisations
- Support the Head of LAC in developing and implementing advocacy strategies and initiatives aiming at maintaining child marriage on the agenda of relevant regional processes and institutions.
- Provide technical strategic and strategic advice to regional organisations, as required.
- Represent Girls Not Brides in regional meetings and processes, as required.
- Assist members in understanding how to use intergovernmental regional processes and commitments to spur government action on child marriage.
Work with the Head of LAC to establish and develop *Girls Not Brides’*presence, visibility and credibility in the region
- Support the expansion and strengthening of Girls Not Brides’ membership in the region.
- Work with Partnership team to identify gaps in membership and potential new members.
- With the Head of LAC, establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, sub-regional, regional and international actors and development partners working in the region.
- Contribute to the increased visibility of Girls Not Brides members work across the region, and an increased understanding of their work within the secretariat.
Contribute to the broader Girls Not Brides strategic, programmatic and communications work with the regional perspective, where possible and as appropriate.
- Inform the global activities of Girls Not Brides with knowledge of the regional context and the perspective of members from the region.
- Represent Girls Not Brides at external meetings and events, as required
- Speak on behalf of Girls Not Brides in the media, as required
- Provide input into relevant funding applications and reporting to donors, as needed.
Wider responsibilities of Girls Not Brides team members
- Commit to the mission and vision of Girls Not Brides, putting them at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of Girls Not Brides in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Comply with Girls Not Brides policies and processes, with particular note for safeguarding, the code of conduct and data protection.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Fulfil any other reasonable requests for the advancement of the Girls Not Brides.
We are looking for bilingual (Spanish and English) candidates with the following qualifications and skills:
- Masters Degree in a relevant area (such as public policy, development studies, Latin American studies, international relations, human rights or gender issues) or proven experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with policy analysis and advocacy on issues relating to Latin America; experience working with coalitions in Latin America and an understanding of child marriage and of the key players in the women’s and children’s rights fields is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement advocacy strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships in multicultural environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to empower and inspire others.
- Excellent project planning and project management skills; demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget, to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities, and to resolve problems and adapt plans if required;
- Ability to work pro-actively in a remote office with minimal supervision, meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Ability to resolve problems and adapt plans if required.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Spanish communication skills required, with an eye for detail; Portuguese language skills desirable.
- Proficiency in recent versions of Microsoft Office suite; knowledge of Salesforce, Float and Basecamp desirable.
- Willingness to work from home, with all necessary equipment and technology provided by Girls Not Brides.
- Willingness to travel up to 30% time.
At Girls Not Brides, we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
Eligibility: Candidates must have a valid visa/permit that allows placement/work in the chosen location.
Reporting to: To the Head of LAC Engagement (based in Mexico City) and strong collaboration with the Partnership Team (based in London).
Contract type: Fixed-term (1 year, with the possibility of extension).
Salary range: Local equivalent of £33,000-£37,000, plus a generous benefits package.