UNDP Libya is expanding the EU-funded Strengthening Local Capacity for Resilience and Recovery. The new three-year phase aims at enhancing provision of basic services at local level and increasing access for most vulnerable groups from host communities – including Internally Displaced Populations (IDPs) and returnees – as well as migrants and refugees. The project will pursue two specific objectives:
- Strengthening the capacities of municipalities in providing basic and social services, in particular in municipalities most affected by migratory flows, for resilient local service delivery;
- Improving access to quality basic and social services, in particular to the most vulnerable people living in the selected locations (including migrants, refugees, IDPs, returnees and host communities, especially women and girls).
It will respond to the effects of the ongoing instability and difficult socio-economic conditions of most vulnerable populations in Libya aiming to answer to pressing community needs and to strengthen resilience through local governance structures, with a focus on municipalities located along the migration routes. The project also recognizes that women’s participation is necessary as participants and beneficiaries in local development planning that responds to the needs and concerns of all citizens.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Senior Local Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and follow up of the project activities in all regions across Libya, while also supporting the timely and efficient delivery of the project technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, regular outreach and coordination with the project beneficiaries, coordination and quality assurance of inputs and products; liaising with Libyan counterparts and working closely with the team of local coordinators and engineers.
Summary of key functions:
- Contribute in the day to day management of the project activities
- Coordinate all regional coordinators and engineers
- Provide support in ensuring effective implementation of the project activities
- Lead Capacity Building activities
- Enhance M&E mechanisms on the ground
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Local Coordinator will be responsible for the strategic programme planning, coordination, implementation as well monitoring and evaluation of project activities, including timely delivery of results taking into consideration agreed upon workplans.
All outputs of the project will be implemented regionally in the West, South and East of Libya.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Senior Local Coordinator will also be responsible of the following:
- Provide support in the implementation and coordination of all project activities across the three regions in Libya in accordance with approved work plans jointly formulated with project beneficiaries and partners;
- Strengthen the Monitoring Mechanisms of project outputs and regularly analyze the Impact of the Project on local communities through regular engagement with local authorities and targeted communities;
- Initiate and lead the Capacity Building Component of UNDP Resilience and Recovery Project through developing the necessary tools and questionnaires, conducting interviews and prepare related ToRs in consultation with Project Manager;
- Provide support to local and international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results;
- Support the work of local coordinators in the process of collecting information in the agreed sectors in collaboration with the local authorities, and submit the priority plan to the Project Manager for approval;
- Maintain close coordination with project partners including Libyan and international partners, and help ensuring synergies and avoiding overlaps in project implementation;
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.
- Promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture among program staff and other implementing partners at all levels;
- Ensure timely submission of required written inputs, including progress reports, briefing notes and minutes of meeting, among others;
- Immediately report to the project manager any variation or problem arising during the implementation of various work activities;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.);
- Undertake any other relevant tasks as requested by the Project Manager.
Impact of Reslts:
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Strengthening Local Capacity for Resilience and Recovery Project. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy.
- MSc Degree in international development, development studies, international relations, project management, engineering, public administration or other related field.
- Additional qualifications in project management is highly considered.
- At least 7 years of experience working with an international organization, EU funded programmes, UN agency or NGO would be desirable;
- Experience liaising with government authorities, other national institutions and NGOs would be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge on capacity development in a crises situation.
- Fluency in English required, both written and spoken. Arabic Language is a must
Contract Duration: One year