Position Title : Senior Human Resources Officer (Business Transformation)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 December 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candiates
- External female candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; and Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include all external candidates, except female candidates and candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM is undertaking a Business Transformation (BT) process, a priority driven by IOM’s Internal Governance Framework (IGF) reform. IOM will undertake a global review of its current HR Master data architecture and ERP based process flows to update its systems and establish a fit-for-future Human Resources Management (HRM) globally.
Under the direct supervision of the Business Transformation Project Delivery Manager and functional supervision of the Chief HR Business Partner, the incumbent will be responsible for implementing BT initiatives and supporting ongoing projects in the Division, including assessing and redesigning the HR management modules while duly considering interlinkages with other functions of IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Play a key BT role in the Division for all HR management functions with a focus on the various modules within the ERP System.
- Act as HR Focal Point for the BT Team with regards to reviewing IOMs ERP-based HR processes and procedures. (entitlements processing, contract issuance and maintenance).
- Collaborate and work closely with functional business process owners and experts in Headquarters (HQ), Manila and Panama Administrative Centres, document current processes, pain points, system support gaps, and collect their ideas on improvements to the business model, processes, authorizations/workflows, etc.;
- Ensure that HR processes are designed in accordance with the organization’s regulations, instructions, policies, procedures and practices and taking into consideration the relevant operational control systems from the IGF. Collaborate with relevant Departments and Units in the context of overall BT to harmonise cross-cutting processes.
- Based on information provided by the BT team, evaluate opportunities and capabilities offered by the new technology and/or the ERP platform and identify opportunities for improvement compared to existing HR practices, while maintaining compliance with the legal and administrative framework.
- Develop and lead training initiatives, in both the design stage and the delivery stage, by providing inputs, documenting requirements, and supporting the design and delivery of training programs.
- Manage change to promote acceptance and ‘buy-in’ at all stages and ensure smooth implementation of necessary changes to internal business practices, procedures, processes, and systems.
- Provide direct oversight and support to external expert, consultants, vendors, and suppliers engaged by the HR Division in the context of BT.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Commerce or a related from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience; and,
- Professional certification related to Human Resources such as the Chartered Institute of Personal and Development will be a distinct advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database.
- Experience in Human Resources Management at the international level
- Experience in project management, business analysis and human resources processes redesign
- Experience using an ERP system
- Field experience in the UN system is an asset
- Knowledge of IOM/UN HR procedures and rules is an asset
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of SAP highly desirable
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish. For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
All internationally recruited staff are required to be mobile.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.