This position is for outposting to Uzbekistan Resident Mission (URM) and is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an external candidate, he/she may initially be based in HQ prior to be outposted. If the successful candidate is an internal candidate, the outposting will be immediate.
To formulate and articulate sector policy, engaging Developing Member Countries (DMCs) governments in policy dialogue related to energy sector reforms, and conducting ADB’s activities to support sector policy and reforms. To lead in identifying and developing loans, Technical Assistance (TAs) projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS) to contribute to ADB's goal of reducing poverty. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
a. Strategy and planning
- Develop strategies for the energy sector in assigned DMCs, in consultation with relevant government agencies and Resident Missions.
- Conduct policy dialogue and develop policy based programs to assist governments to undertake energy sector reform, ensure efficient use of resources and encourage participation of the private sector.
- Identify investment opportunities in the energy sector for sustainable economic growth.
- Develop regional sector strategies and initiate regional projects in consultation with national and regional energy organizations and international financial institutions.
b. Project development and administration
- Initiate and develop loan and TA projects in the energy sector.
- Liaise and coordinate with development agencies on development of program loans and investment projects.
- Ensure key technical, economic, financial and crosscutting issues are incorporated into projects.
- Ensure technical, procurement, disbursement, and contract administration issues are timely resolved during loan and TA implementation.
c. Policy and project evaluation
- Ensure the development impact of the energy portfolio is monitored and evaluated.
d. Knowledge Sharing
- Participate in and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on the energy sector and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
e. Staff supervision
- Take the role of mission leader and supervise the work of team members.
- Manage the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Engineering, Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Social Sciences , or other related fields. University degree in Engineering, Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Supervisor: Director, Energy and Natural Resources Division (CWEN) on substantive technical, policy-related and operational aspects and Country Director, URM for day-to day administrative matters.
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
- We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply