Creative Associates seeks a Senior Education Technical Advisor for an anticipated USAID funded education project in Yemen. The Senior Education Technical Advisor will have overall responsibility for the quality implementation of the education activity, providing evidence-based, timely and responsive implementation leadership to the project, ensuring that program targets are met.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Senior Education Technical Advisor will report to the Chief of Party (COP).
- Lead the program’s education activities under the direction of the COP.
- Provide technical design, implementation leadership, and oversight to interventions supporting safe and equitable access to quality education.
- Improve equity and inclusion of disadvantaged populations among the target school-age population.
- Improve Ministry of Education capacity to deliver professional development services.
- Provides technical leadership to the project team, the Ministry of Education, and USAID on high-quality interventions that address barriers to safe and equitable education through policy and systems strengthening, design and delivery of teacher professional development support, and school governance and community engagement;
- Supports environmental improvements in classrooms, communities and home;
- Ensures that activities and approaches across geographic areas are complementary and equitable, including underserved populations in need of inclusive education;
- Liaises with government representatives and technicians on technical matters;
- Ensures that children in activity-supported schools achieve improved outcomes; and
- Manages, leads and mentors technical staff.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in education or a closely-related field;
- At least 10 years of education project implementation experience, preferably in Yemen and/or the MENA region;
- Experience with USAID education policies, procedures and projects;
- Specific experience in two or more of the following: early grade reading or improving literacy (reading & writing), teacher professional development, working in conflict-affected environments, and accelerated learning
- Experienced in inclusivity programming;
- Prior experience with supporting family/community engagement and civil-society based monitoring of reading outcomes;
- Ability to work closely with host country governments and local organizations and stakeholders;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and superior writing skills;
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English; Arabic language skills highly desirable.
- Strong team player and ability to mentor young professionals; and
- Ability to work in Yemen.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Academic specialization in Education/ Early grade reading is highly desirable;
- Ability to measure basic foundational skills for literacy in the early grades;
- Ability to assess reading and comprehension;
- Knowledge of a balanced literacy framework, early literacy competencies and reading diagnostic measures; and
- Knowledge of instruction strategies.
Local and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.