The Senior Director of Philanthropic Services is a new leadership role in USA Philanthropy division of GPP at the International Rescue Committee. We are looking for a strategic and innovative fundraising professional with a client centered orientation and an entrepreneurial, can-do spirit to lead the comprehensive functions of prospect development and of donor engagement and stewardship areas, including strategic events.
The Senior Director will transform the Philanthropic Services unit by creating and implementing a strategy for donor engagement. All activities will have a measurable impact on the donor experience and giving. S/he/they will also expand the prospect research area into a comprehensive prospect development team that ensures the entire fundraising operation is focused on the right prospects, for the right giving opportunities, at the right time. Working closely with the Vice President, the Senior Director will create a more holistic, strategic and thoughtful approach to the fundraising operation.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic leader, with deep knowledge of the fundraising industry’s best practices. The Senior Director is a member of the USA Philanthropy Leadership team. The Senior Director collaborates closely with the Senior Directors of Major Giving & Fundraising Events and Principal & Planned Giving, and their programs/teams to achieve divisional fundraising and engagement goals.S/he/they will oversee the administrative aspects associated with prospect research, prospect management, prospect analytics, event logistics and the full scope of donor engagement, proposal writing and donor stewardship. The Senior Director will provide strategic vision, leadership and direction for various private sector philanthropic shared services that support other divisions of GPP. S/he/they will collaborate with heads of priority IRC program units to streamline the collection of data and information necessary to produce communications, proposals and reports to support front-line fundraisers.
40% - Departmental Management
- Work closely with the USAPhil and broader GPP leadership teams to set the strategic direction, goals, policies, annual plans and performance measures to support the USA Philanthropy’s and broader GPP’s ambitious fundraising goals
- Lead, manage, and mentor the Philanthropic Services team to ensure best-in-class high performance standards of all staff
- Clarify team and individual staff roles and responsibilities to support team wide goals and strategies; ensure essential infrastructure is in place to support fundraising operation
- Foster a creative, collaborative, can-do culture that embraces data-driven decision making
- Represent the VP of USA Philanthropy at meetings, community events and on committees/task forces, as assigned
- Ensure that fundraising, gift acceptance and other divisional and organizational policies and procedures are faithfully implemented by staff
- Communicate effectively with others with a positive attitude – a sense of humor is essential
- Work with team and across departments and divisions to develop materials and research to adequately support the successful solicitation of gifts
- Serve as a valued source of fundraising expertise and guidance within the division, particularly in the cultivation and stewardship strategies for individual prospects and donors capable of gifts of $100,000 or more over a three to five year period or through their estate
- Work with the Senior Directors of Principal & Planned Giving and Major Giving & Fundraising Events to ensure that fundraisers have balanced and refined prospect lists, with an eye to appropriate portfolio balance that ensures robust qualification of new prospective donors for all team members; and that donors have clear and meaningful engagement opportunities and timely stewardship
- Manage unit’s budget
30% - Deliver a superior donor engagement and stewardship experience
- Lead the conception, design, and implementation of an overall donor engagement and stewardship strategy that builds on the concept of the power of moments to galvanize donor loyalty
- Coordinate with partners across GPP and broader IRC to identify ways in which the most generous donors will be deeply engaged with the work of IRC
- Create, evaluate and refine engagement opportunities to provide donors a consistent, best in class experience regardless of where donors live, work or travel
- Lead and manage the team tasked with developing clear donor stewardship plans and organizing communications to donors based on level of gift, capacity, and interests
- Develop systems for recognizing donors that build donor loyalty and confidence, as well as rewards donors for their continued support
- Guide efforts to create compelling proposals and stewardship reports that focus on the impact of donor gifts
30% - Build a best in class Prospect Development function
- Create, evaluate and refine products, processes and procedures so that prospect development becomes both the go-to partner for all units within GPP, and becomes a best in class team within the INGO space
- Oversee a process to assess, design, and implement modifications to the SalesForce database to ensure prospect information is captured within and can easily be tracked and reported out so that Salesforce better supports relationship-based fundraising efforts
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degrees and/or related certifications highly desired.
Work Experience: Minimum 10 years of direct experience in donor engagement and stewardship, prospect development and/or fundraising. Demonstrated competencies in business development, business analytics, and/or customer service management also acceptable.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Work successfully in a complex, fast-paced organization serving multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in working with volunteers and staff
- Supervisory and management experience with ability to coach, mentor, and to tailor professional development plans for individual staff members
- Superior interpersonal skills with proven ability to successfully interact and collaborate with varied constituencies in a professional manner, exhibiting excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated project management skills with experience managing a team and initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and completing multiple complex projects within tight deadlines
- Discretion in dealing with confidential information and demonstrated a willingness to uphold high ethical standards
- Experience recruiting, managing, and retaining fundraising support services teams
- Exceptional interpersonal communications skills and the ability to write persuasively and effectively for varied audiences
- Building consensus and handling sensitive matters with tact, discretion, and humanity
- Budget management
- Attention to detail
- Experience using databases required; technology expertise is important; High degree of fluency in computer technologies is a plus
Working Environment : Standard office work environment. Successful candidate must be available to work evenings and weekends as required, and may occasionally travel domestically and internationally.