- Type of contract:
- Fixed-term contract until 31 December 2023, which may be extended subject to individual performance and organisational needs
- Who can apply:
- J band and benefits
- Working time:
- Place of work:
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Closing date for applications:
- Wednesday, 16 January 2019
You will be part of the Directorate General Research (DG/R). Our Directorate General has more than 60 staff, carrying out and coordinating economic research into issues relevant to the conduct of monetary policy, banking supervision and other ECB tasks. We provide research results for the formulation of policy advice to the ECB’s decision-making bodies and support the ECB’s business areas with our research. We interact with other research centres and the academic community, and contribute to external communication by publishing our research in external, refereed journals.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
As a Senior Research Adviser you will:
- conduct state-of-the-art research that helps to address key central bank policy issues and is ultimately published in top academic journals;
- contribute to the intellectual leadership of the ECB within the global central bank-related research community, in particular through your own research and its dissemination, active participation in relevant high-level conferences and the active promotion of other ECB research;
- contribute to DG/R’s role as a valued source of policy advice within the ECB, the Eurosystem and the ESCB, drawing on its research expertise and tools;
- lead one of DG/R’s research networks, in close collaboration with external counterparts, and foster research collaboration within the network;
- oversee the production of research, policy notes and speeches in your area of expertise;
- advise on the planning, coordination and execution of policy-related research in DG/R;
- mentor research staff, enhancing their capabilities in the areas of research and policy, with a particular emphasis on the ECB’s research priorities;
- participate actively in DG/R’s management team by sharing the collective organisational tasks and advising other team members on them.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to lead research and obtain insights through an important network and contribute to the intellectual leadership of the ECB. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a PhD or a master’s degree plus four years of relevant experience and publication record in economics, finance or a related field (read more on degree equivalences);
- extensive work and research experience of at least ten years in the areas of the ECB’s tasks and functions, acquired at a university, in a policy-making authority conducting research activities or in a think tank with a strong research orientation;
- an excellent research publication and citation record;
- an international reputation in the central bank-related research community, built among other things on regular, active participation in conferences and the maintenance of a network with members of this community;
- a proven ability to direct and oversee research activities, including five or more years’ experience in leading research teams and/or projects;
- excellent representational and communication skills, including a proven aptitude for presenting research results effectively to different audiences and in non-technical terms;
- an advanced command of English and an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the EU.
- experience in providing policy advice, including drawing on research results and analytical models, and in processing research-based policy work;
- familiarity with the tasks and functions of central banks, with knowledge of the working methods of the Eurosystem, the European System of Central Banks and other EU institutions.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and can draw on the strengths of a diverse team to get the best results. You support the efforts of team members to develop their abilities and are able to build up high-performing teams. You facilitate change and can articulate strategic priorities and scenarios for your team.
We are willing to discuss part-time arrangements.
The formal title for this position will be Senior Adviser.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to the hiring manager, Luc Laeven, on +49 (0)69 1344 8834.
The recruitment process for this position may include – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – a presentation and interviews.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to join us, read more.