Position Title : Senior Accounting Officer (Business Transformation)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 December 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candiates
- External female candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; and Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include all external candidates, except female candidates and candidates from non-represented member states.
The Accounting and Financial Reporting Division (ACO) of IOM is responsible for monitoring, analysing and reporting on the financial position, financial performance and financial risks of the Organization. The Divisions fundamental functions include preparing key financial statements and reports including the Annual Financial Report using International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS); developing and implementing accounting policies, procedures, as well as related internal controls and oversight mechanisms to ensure integrity of accounting data and safeguard the Organizations resources and assets; controlling accounting master data structures within IOMs SAP-based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system (PRISM); and liaising with external and internal auditors and other stakeholders on accounting and financial reporting related issues and concerns.
Within its Business Transformation (BT) process, a priority driven by IOM’s Internal Governance Framework (IGF) reform, IOM will undertake a global review on its current accounting and financial reporting set-up, master data architecture and ERP based process flows to update its systems and establish a fit-for-future financial accounting and reporting set-up globally.
Under the direct supervision of the Business Transformation Project Delivery Manager and functional supervision of the Deputy Comptroller / Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting, the incumbent will be responsible for advising and implementing BT initiatives and supporting ongoing projects in the Division, including assessing and redesigning the enterprise accounting architecture of IOM, accounting master data structures and financial accounting processes while duly considering interlinkages with other financial and non-financial functions of IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Play a key BT role in the Division for the accounting and financial reporting functions, with a focus on IOMs accounting and financial reporting systems and solutions.
- Act as ACOs Operative Focal Point for the BT Team with regards to reviewing IOMs ERP-based financial and accounting processes and procedures.
- Represent the accounting and financial reporting function in implementing the newly defined financial framework within the BT project.
- Collaborate with the ACO Team, other DRM Divisions, the Administrative Centres, Country Offices, and other relevant organizational units to gain a comprehensive understanding of accounting and financial reporting business processes and system linkages.
- Lead the Chart of Accounts redesign process in order to establish gap analysis where deemed not fit for purpose, establish design criteria to facilitate a new or revised design considering best practices, standard accounting principles, the IOM Financial regulation, the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and incorporating required items specific to IOM business model.
- Lead the assessment of IOMs consolidated and centrally governed financial and accounting master data structures, architecture and lifecycle with a view to recommend solutions/proposals to simplify, harmonize and automate accounting processes across the Organization within the business transformation initiative.
- Provide expert advice on the most appropriate accounting practices within the specific IOM financial management and reporting framework, within intended planned systems as part of the BT initiative.
- Collaborate with relevant Departments and Units in the context of overall BT to harmonise cross-cutting processes.
- Based on information provided by the BT team, evaluate opportunities and capabilities offered by the new technology and/or the ERP platform and identify opportunities for improvement and synergies compared to existing accounting practices, while maintaining compliance with binding internal and external accounting standards.
- Develop and lead training efforts, in both the design stage and the delivery stage, by providing inputs, documenting requirements, and supporting the design and delivery of training programs.
- Manage change to promote acceptance and ‘buy-in’ at all stages and ensure smooth implementation of necessary changes to internal business practices, procedures, processes, and systems.
- Provide direct oversight and support to external expert, consultants, vendors, and suppliers engaged by the Division in the context of BT.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting and/or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience; and,
- Professional certification as qualified accountant (ACCA, CA, CPA, CIMA, CIPFA) is a requirement.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database.
- Extensive experience in the area of accounting and / or financial management, including accounts consolidation, financial analyses, accounting processes and procedures design, master data structure management, and general financial reporting, in a large-scale organization
- Experience in practical implementation of effective financial controls
- Extensive experience with ERP software/systems and accounting-related technological solutions. Direct experience in active role in an ERP implementation and accounting structures set-up is a distinct advantage
- Strong communication skills, ability to present information in a comprehensive, clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally
- Demonstrated ability to conduct analyses, excellent writing skills, accompanied with ability to edit a range of different materials, including but not limited to financial policies, related instructions, guidelines and reports for different audiences
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish. For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
All internationally recruited staff are required to be mobile.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.