The Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is a German aid and welfare organization. With over 31 200 employees and 1,2 million members in Germany, ASB is represented with 16 branches at federal-state level and more than 200 branches at regional, district and municipal levels all over Germany. ASB is active in the fields of social protection, rescue services and social welfare services. Since its foundation in 1888, ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB’s Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable groups. The ASB Foreign Aid Department is represented with the country offices in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Greece, Haiti, Indonesia, Iraq, Kosovo, Nicaragua, Niger, Philippines, Serbia and Ukraine.
Since the beginning of conflict in Eastern Ukraine in 2014, ASB has been implementing humanitarian interventions in the country in cooperation with its local partner, Samaritan Union of Ukraine (SSU). In 2016, ASB opened a representative office in Ukraine to coordinate the relief operations in the country.
Currently ASB Country Office in Ukraine is looking for an experienced Security Advisor who will be a security focal point within the organization. S/he will develop security concepts and contingency plans for ASB and its implementing partner as well as monitor security situation in the project region to ensure safety of the project staff. The project will support conflict-affected populations in the 5- kilometer zone along the ‘contact line’ (government-controlled areas of Luhanska and Donetska oblasts) with food, hygiene and winterization assistance as well as with psychosocial support.
Security Advisor will be based in Kyiv/Sievierodonetsk, with regular trips to the project area. S/he reports to and is supervised by the Country Director, based in Kyiv.
Duration: 12 months (extension foreseen depending on performance)
Start: June 13, 2019
Vacancy: National position (for Ukrainian nationals only)
Salary: ASB offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience
Key responsibilities include:
· develop security-related documents (e.g. security concept, evacuation plan, contingency plan) for ASB and its implementing partner
· ensure that security documents are up to date and in line with ASB’s Safety and Security Policy
· provide security trainings to ASB staff, partners and volunteers
· brief new staff and visitors on security procedures
· coordinate all field visits with the Civil Military Coordination (CIMIC), INSO and other relevant stakeholders
· choose the safest routes for the movement of project staff and logistics in the target area
· prepare security reports and regularly update senior management about changes in the security situation
· assess security situation and provide relevant recommendations to senior management to inform decisions related to the project implementation
· represent ASB at security-related meetings
· perform other duties as requested
· University Degree in relevant field (e.g. Security Management, International Relations) or equivalent studies in military/police academy
· Minimum three years of experience in security management in a national/international humanitarian NGO or military/police experience
· Understanding of current security situation in Eastern Ukraine (work experience in the project area (5-km zone along the ‘contact line’ in the government-controlled areas of Luhanska and Donetska oblasts) will be an asset)
· Knowledge of and willingness to adhere to ASB policies and general humanitarian principles (Core Humanitarian Standards, Sphere Minimum Standards, etc.)
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
· High level of self-discipline; ability to work with minimal supervision
· High level of integrity
· Stress resistance
· Ability and willingness to travel as required
ASB is an equal opportunities employer.