The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, working in 177 countries and territories. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, UNDP is committed to helping the country through strengthened national and local capacities to carry out political, economic and social reforms and promote development.
In the programmatic period 2015 – 2020, UNDP supports the following programme priorities: (a) access to justice and increased human security; (b) reduction of regional, economic and social disparities; (c) sustainable management of environmental and energy resources, and green jobs creation; and (d) access to services and employment opportunities for the most vulnerable. In all areas, there will be an emphasis on conflict-sensitive, integrated and innovative programme design complementing country priorities and tailored to the post-flood recovery needs. Currently UNDP prepares a new country programme 2021-2025, that will continue focusing on green, sustainable and inclusive growth, on accountable and transparent governance and rule of law and social inclusion.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative the Sector Leader will be responsible for management of UNDP programme activities geared towards supporting national and subnational institutions and provision of strategic policy advice within the assigned thematic/sectoral areas of the country programme. It is expected that the Sector Leader will provide substantive and strategic leadership on the areas of climate change mitigation and adaptation and sustainable management of natural resources and will work with other teams and staff to design interventions representing transformative, integrated and innovative solutions to development challenges. The Sector Leader analyzes the relevant economic and social trends, leads identification, development, formulation and evaluation of programme activities within his/her area and provides policy advice to the Country Office management team and local partners.
The Sector Leader works in close collaboration with programme staff in other sectors and other UN Agencies, with UNDP operations team, with UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Strategic development and implementation of programme strategies
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned, including cross-cutting and/or integrated initiatives in close cooperation with other sectors;
- Provision of expert advice to the CO Senior Management in terms of substantive priorities in assigned areas, collaboration and harmonisation of interventions with other sectors;
- Programme assurance within the assigned thematic areas;
- Liaison regarding programme development with Istanbul Regional Hub and relevant HQ departments in coordination with the Senior Management;
- Support to the inclusion of BiH in UNDP regional projects and multi-agency projects.
Management of the CO Programme within the thematic/sectoral areas:
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions: Coordination of efforts resulting in the preparation of full – fledged project documents, with incorporated overall and specific findings, leading to full harmonization between UNDP’s and the country’s priorities, and resulting in the increased mobilization of donor support in the thematic/sectoral areas assigned;
- Coordination of cross-cutting efforts across relevant projects, including among the sectors, and formulation of similar activities into combined interventions for the sake of aggregating the results and increasing impact;
- Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies;
- Effective application of Result-based Management (RBM) tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Ultimate quality assurance throughout all project implementation phases, for projects within the sector, including initiation of a project, presentation of the project to Project Appraisal Committee (PAC), participation in the work of Project Boards, timely implementation of the project activities in line with planned delivery, recruitment of project staff, and closure of projects through review;
- Direct and indirect supervision and appraisal of project staff within the sector;
- Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones;
- Ensure on a monthly basis the following inputs for review and discussion of the Senior Management Team: list of the activities, expenditures and results achieved during the previous month as compared to the work plan for each project within the Sector;
- Follow up on audit recommendations;
- Ensure that donor reports for all projects within the sector are regularly prepared reflecting programme activities, outputs, outcomes, and specific impacts.
Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with UN Agencies, international financing organizations, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis of information on donors, facilitate information sharing and dialogue within the donor community preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization;
- Identifies government and donor funding opportunities based on the UNDP programmatic agenda;
- Proposes strategic investments for maximised programme results.
Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- With the assistance of project staff, organizes and coordinates sector efforts geared towards providing technical assistance, training, or advice to relevant government entities in the analysis of their performance, planning, developing strategic priorities or tools for financial cooperation;
- Ensures sufficient time for own and sector members substantive learning and up-dating of knowledge of UNDP processes;
- Takes active role in the training activities of sector and projects;
- Leads sector and projects knowledge management activities;
- Contributes to the relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Substantive contributions to key CO policy, strategy and programme documents
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to Common Country Assessment (CCA), United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework, Country Programme Document, and other documents;
- In-depth analysis of specific thematic areas from the viewpoint of both the CO’s and the country’s programmatic priorities, for the sake of better adjusting the programme/project implementation strategies with the latest trends and developments;
- Ensure sufficient time for own and Sector members substantive learning and up-dating of knowledge of UNDP processes;
- Liaise with Istanbul Regional Hub and relevant HQ departments in support of knowledge development.
Ensure gender mainstreaming within the Sector
- Ensures gender considerations are effectively mainstreamed throughout the Sector plans and activities, project documents and work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail gender aspects and make recommendations;
- Ensure gender equality is mainstreamed throughout team, consultants and staff management activities;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in cluster’s knowledge management activities and products.
Innovation/Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them.
Leadership/Ability to persuade others to follow
- Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers.
People Management/Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others.
Communication/Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others.
Delivery/Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions.
Technical Competencies are given at the Originate level: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise:
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results;
- In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter/Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization and the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Resource Mobilization/Promotes and encourages sector action with donors as well as appropriate government authorities for increased contribution to UNDP resources, including cost sharing modalities;
- Client Orientation/Ability to create an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Disaster Risk Management/Knowledge of disaster risk management concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;
- Strategic Planning/Ability to make decisions that align with strategy, vision, and mission;
- Decision Making/Ability of making successful and ethical business decisions;
- Knowledge Management/Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Master's degree in Environment, Climate Change, Natural Sciences, Sustainable Development, Business Administration, Economics, Social Sciences or related field;
- University degree in Environment, Climate Change, Natural Sciences, Sustainable Development, Business Administration, Economics, Social Sciences or related field with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the postgraduate degree.
- 5 years (7 years with BA) of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Relevant professional experience in BIH and the region in the area of climate change and environment;
- Knowledge of relevant development trends, issues and policies in BiH and EU; understanding of the country context
- Proven experience in dealing with counterparts in government, NGOs and donor community
- Proficiency in using office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management and knowledge systems.
- English and B/S/C languages.
- Proficiency in English;
- Willingness to learn and acquire new skills as per UNDP’s corporate strategies;
- Willingness to travel.
Important applicant information
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension