Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we can act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our clients Somalia country office is undertaking feasibility studies & detailed design of 30 km of urban roads in Kismayo & 20 km of urban roads Baidoa. The project is a component of the Somali Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP) supported by the WB & delivered in a close working partnership with the municipalities & govt. partners. The feasibility study report is due by end of June & the detailed design documentation is due by end of August.
- The specific role expected from the Road Engineer is to provide the field-based support including site assessments, data collection & local input to the feasibility studies & designs. Main roles & responsibilities are listed below.
- Under the guidance of Road Design Engineer / Team Leader, perform field technical tasks including data collection, material sampling & testing & site assessments to support the designs.
- Work closely with the National Engineer based at duty station in Somalia & supervise field activities conducted by day labor & the suppliers for efficiency & quality.
- Prepare daily / weekly reports as requested by Road Design Engineer / Team Leader on technical activities being carried out at the field & provide information to the design team based in Nairobi.
- Assist in road designs & documentations, development of BOQ's & construction costs estimates & production of engineering drawings.
- Support other project tasks as requested by the Road Design Engineer / Team Leader to deliver overall component.
- Ensure all field based agreed technical tasks are delivered on time, including the delivery of data & reports.
- Working with the Nairobi based design team, complete the assigned design tasks in a timely manner to meet the overall project timelines.
- This role reports to the Road Design Engineer / Team Leader.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in Africa (essential).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering (or similar discipline) is required.
- Competency in English both spoken & writing is required.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in design & construction of urban roads / highways is required.
- Experience in site investigation, material assessment & field data collection in support of feasibility assessments & design of urban roads / highways is desirable.
- Experience in preparation of road designs using Civil 3D software (or similar) is desirable.
- Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
Other relevant information:
- 60 working days over a period of approximately 2.5 months.