Position Title : Resource Management Officer
Duty Station : Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Dominican Republic (DR), and in coordination with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and Regional Office (RO) in San Jose and in close coordination with the Administrative Centres in Manila (MAC) and Panama (PAC), also, with the Division of Accounting and Financial Reporting (ACO) at Headquarters (HQ), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the budgetary, financial, human resources and administrative functions of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In coordination with the CoM, monitor compliance with general instructions of IOM and relevant permanent instructions for the whole mission, namely in the areas of administration, finance and human resources.
Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities of the mission including the oversight of financial expenditures and accountability and the undertaking of financial analysis of projects in the mission.
Coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organizations’ assets, control the treasury, and prevent fraud.
Assist the CoM in the preparation of the annual budget for the mission, oversee budget control process and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures. Assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
Maintain financial procedures, ensure that local administrative procedures are in place and followed in accordance with the Organization’s regulations, procedures and practices, and recommend modifications to or new permanent instructions and procedures.
Assist the COM in managing the human resources function and make recommendations on recruitment, retention, promotion, and separation of local staff. Interpret and apply HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases.
Supervise and train staff on IOM’s administrative/financial policies and procedures; evaluate regular financial reports and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
Supervise the procurement and logistic services, ensuring that contracts with suppliers of goods and services are in line with the Organization’s procedures, regulations and guidelines; oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of buildings as well as the functioning of support services in the mission.
Support and offer guidance to other units (programmes and sub-offices) on matters related to IOM administrative issues, local institutions and regulations and human resources problems with a view to increasing their effectiveness.
Liaise with relevant units at HQs, Regional and PAC, as well as relevant external counterparts with regard to the financial and administrative activities of the mission. Report regularly on the financial situation of the mission and provide other information as necessary.
Undertake regular duty travels to the sub-offices in order to ensure that IOM set rules and regulations are followed accordingly.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience;
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
• Knowledge of human resources management an advantage;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
• Experience with internal control assessment, internal audit and or external audit;
• Knowledge of MS Office specifically Excel and IOM accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in Spanish (oral and written) and working knowledge of English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.