Following many changes in context in Sri Lanka since 2015, and the universal commitment made in September 2015 to ensure the achievement of sustainable development by 2030, UNDP embarked on a process of re-defining the alignment and strengthening the design of its access to justice/ rule of law, human rights, Parliamentary support and peacebuilding portfolio. UNDP from 2017 will support Sri Lanka with innovative programmatic and operational design and implementation of priority actions identified in key policy frameworks and plans. To this end, UNDP will work in collaboration with several stakeholders, including government, semigovernment, civil society, private sector, UN agency and development partners and through increased engagement with the people of Sri Lanka, on the above mentioned inter-linked and complementary thematic areas of focus, to provide integrated and high quality technical advisory and support services. Against the above-mentioned backdrop, continuing its support to the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRC), UNDP Sri Lanka seeks to recruit Researchers to assist the HRCSL and the Consultant in a study related to prison reforms. The objective of this study is to evaluate prison conditions, practices and legislations related to the rights of prisoners in Sri Lanka and make recommendations for reform.
The UN Volunteer will perform the following tasks under the direct supervision of the Commissioner - Human Rights Commission. The UN Volunteer will be accountable to the Programme Manager UNDP on obligations stemming from the placement of the UNV by UNDP at the Human Rights Commission for the performance of the said functions.
• Provide assistance to the Consultant and HRCSL in the above study as required.
• Undertaking visits to required prisons as guided by the consultant and HRCSL
• Preparation of relevant documentation and reports to support the study.
• Comprehensive analysis of gathered data (quantitative and qualitative).
• Efficient delivery of tasks assigned to facilitate the study Coordination with relevant partners/ institutions as required
• High quality and effective documentation is produced as a part of the research study.
• Required visits are undertaken adhering to the parameters of the study.
• Effectively analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data.
• Efficient coordination with external parties
• Support to the effective completion of the study.
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
• The development of capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-) governmental counterparts, including Implementing Partners (IPs);
• Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented in all activities throughout the assignment
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
• Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
• Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
• Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
• Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
• Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender;
• Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; ability to maintain composure and remain helpful towards the staff, but objective, without showing personal interest; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
Education – Required Degree Level: Bachelor's degree
Type of degree: Law, Attorney-at-Law, Sociology
Required Experience: Minimum of two years
• Work experience in social research
• Experience in the field of human rights or litigation in the field of law would be preferred.
Language Skills: Strong spoken and written English skills are essential; Sinhala and/or Tamil would be an advantage.
The United Nations Volunteers programme (UNV) is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
Contract Duration: 6 months
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now