Position Title : Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 April 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic (the), Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Kingdom of Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Launched in December 2016 with funding from the EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), the EU-IOM Joint Initiative on Migrant Protection and Reintegration is the first comprehensive programme to save lives, protect and assist migrants along key migration routes in Africa. It enables migrants who decide to return to their countries of origin to do so in a safe and dignified way, and to help them restart their lives in their countries of origin. This is done through an integrated approach to reintegration that supports both migrants and their communities. The Joint Initiative covers and closely cooperates with 26 African countries in the Horn of Africa, the Sahel and Lake Chad, and North Africa.
In the Horn of Africa, the Joint Initiative (JI-HoA) commenced in March 2017 with an overall objective to contribute to facilitating orderly, safe, regular and rights-based migration through the facilitation of dignified voluntary return and the implementation of development-focused and sustainable reintegration policies and processes.
The target countries for the JI-HoA are: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan. The Regional Coordination Unit is based at IOM’s Regional Office for the East and Horn of Africa in Nairobi, Kenya.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Programme Coordinator and in close coordination with the Deputy Regional Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will
oversee the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities under the JI-HoA. The candidate will also work closely with the Programme Managers in the target countries, the Regional Thematic Specialist for Migrant Protection and Assistance, and the regional and national M&E Officers and Assistants under the JI-HoA.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop and lead the implementation of the JI-HoA M&E Framework and the Plan in close coordination with the country offices under JI-HoA.
Develop standard operating procedures, capacity-building material, and user guidelines to strengthen the implementation and effectiveness of the JI-HoA M&E activities.
Design, establish, update and manage an M&E database for the JI-HoA log frame indicators. Extract, analyze and present relevant information as required including through the preparation of JI-HoA reporting at country and regional level.
Provide expert guidance and technical support to M&E Officers and M&E Assistants in the country offices under JI-HoA on M&E activities, including survey design, data collection and analysis, and setting up and implementing monitoring and reporting systems at country level.
Prepare, produce and provide data and information as required for internal and external reports (e.g., monthly and quarterly JI FLASH reports, annual donor reports, Monitoring and Learning System reporting contracted by EU through Altai, and bi-annual Institutional Questionnaire, etc.) and other information requests.
Ensure compliance with and implementation of the IOM’s Institutional Guidance Note on M&E
for AVR(R)/PARA under JI-HoA.
Lead and oversee joint monitoring visits with DEVCO as well as internal and external evaluations under the JI-HoA, and ensure timely and adequate implementation of related action points and recommendations.
Review and endorse Terms of Reference for M&E related services, proposals, methodological reports and tools, as well as inception and research reports, and provide inputs and guidance as needed.
Continuously assess the JI-HoA’s internal capacity for M&E at the regional and national levels, and design and provide related capacity enhancement training and workshops.
Organize and conduct learning events under the JI-HoA and participate in cross regional M&E workshops in coordination with the Senior Regional Programme Coordinator and the Deputy Regional Programme Coordinator.
Design, develop and coordinate regular M&E information and knowledge products tailored for return and reintegration issues.
Guide and ensure the regular sharing of M&E findings with relevant staff, and that monitoring data are discussed in the appropriate forum in a timely manner, also in terms of implications for future action. If necessary, create such discussion forums to fill any gaps.
Conduct monitoring visits to country offices under the JI-HoA to identify and manage follow-up actions related to the JI-HoA M&E Plan and to take corrective action as necessary.
Support the Communications Officer to document success stories such as capturing case studies for donor reports, website and newsletters.
Undertake duty travel to monitor performance, collect and analyze data, provide guidance and support, and resolve issues.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Development, Management, Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project implementation and management, preferably in the field of research, M&E or information management;
• Strong analytical skills and demonstrated managerial and organizational ability;
• Proven experience in: the logical framework approach, Result Based Management and other strategic planning approaches; M&E methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory); implementation of M&E systems and plans; training in M&E development and implementation; information analysis and report writing;
• Proven experience in data management, analysis and reporting in a humanitarian or development context;
• Expert knowledge of MS office and advanced statistical skills including knowledge of database management, statistical and project management software is a strong advantage;
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately;
• Knowledge and understanding of the migration issues, return and reintegration in the region is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
With frequent travel to field locations in Ethiopia, Somalia, Djibouti and Sudan.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.p
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now