Established in 2002, the International Cocoa Initiative (ICI) is a leading organisation promoting child protection in cocoa-growing communities (www.cocoainitiative.org). ICI works with the cocoa industry, civil society and national governments in cocoa-producing countries to ensure a better future for children and contribute to the elimination of child labour.
The Information Systems Coordinator will be in charge of the Information Services Unit (USI). He/she will be responsible for the development, deployment, and maintenance of ICI’s information systems for national (Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana) and regional (Adzope, Daloa, Divo, Duékoué, Soubré) offices.
This role reports to the Deputy Country Director in Côte d'Ivoire (solid line) and will receive technical direction from ICI’s IT leadership in Geneva (dotted line). As manager and technical lead of the CDI/GH Information Systems team, your duties will be split between team management (of a small technical team spanning CDI and GH), technical liaising (with in-country and headquarters staff) software development (of the custom data collection, analysis, and reporting tools) and network and system administration (of the in-country IT environment, including its networks, workstations, and servers). You will be responsible for the continuous operation of IT systems in West Africa, of the smooth deployment of its custom applications, and will serve as the primary point-of-contact for those systems.
ICI is seeking a candidate with a strong and proven ability to learn, a strong portfolio of past work (e.g., open source/public GitHub contributions), a strong vision of technical management which includes clear and measurable goals with tangible accountability for the USI team, a clear and proactive communication style to managers and direct reports, and a willingness to follow established protocols while also questioning assumptions—at any and all levels—when relevant.
- Manage simultaneous solid- and dotted-line reporting relationships
- Manage simultaneous software development and NetAdmin/SysAdmin responsibilities
- Proactively communicate with solid- and dotted-line managers, early and often
- Maintain alignment with organizational goals and stakeholders
- Use existing Agile support tools (e.g., document in Confluence, project-manage in Trello)
- Participate in high-velocity development cycles
- Continuously evaluate priorities—and change them when necessary
- Active Management of in-country technical teams
- Support in-country Data Protection Officers
- Create QA workflow, metrics, dashboards
- Manage Releases across multiple countries
- Create opportunities to upskill technical team
- Proactively resolve local IT admin issues
- Create useful, substantive metrics for progress
- Delegate software development and admin tasks
- Communicate effectively with non-technical staff and managers
- When directed, acquire IT tools and equipment
- Provide IT help-desk support for CDI/GH staff
Internal coordination and team management
- Conduct regular monitoring of the tasks and projects to provide regular and honest reports to IT Leadership in Geneva;
- Establish and maintain a culture of communication and transparency with M&E and Programms. Be proactive in 'translating', explaining and breaking down the programmatic implications of IT choices;
- Represent USI towards the other departments of the organization;
- Regularly assess the skills, interests and abilities of the USI team staff and ensure that they are adapted to the tasks assigned to them;
- Provide regular coaching to USI team members and, if necessary, identify formal trainings required to develop staff skills;
- Define the annual objectives and work plans of the USI staff and monitor them regularly;
- Evaluate the performance of the Unit's staff on a biannual basis and ensure that the annual objectives are met.
Skills Required (equivalents are acceptable)
- Strong practical TCP/IP Networking (routing, DNS, DHCP)
- Basic Network Admin (Wireless APs, repeater, and bridge configurations)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft support and services (Windows 7,10, Office 365, etc)
- Mobile Development (Android Java dev)
- Back-end Web Development (PHP, Apache, Linux)
- Version Control (git)
- Relational Databases (SQL)
- Linux Sysadmin (shell-scripting, CLI proficiency)
- AWS (or on-prem) infrastructure (S3/EC2/ELB/IAM or Xen/KVM/Linux).
- PII + Security Architecture and Operations
- Practical AppSec & NetSec
Strongly Desired Competencies
- French/English Fluency and or strong proficiency in another language
- Decoupled + Stateless Application Architectures
- NoSQL Data Architectures
- Data Lake Design Concepts
- Serverless Computing
- Agile Development (Scrumban)
- DevOps + CI/CD
- AWS Advanced Concepts (KMS, RDS, ACM, API GW, Lambda)
The position can be based in the ICI office in Accra or in Abidjan with frequent travel to the other country.