Hivos is an international Organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their Organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies. For its Hivos seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Project Officer of Strengthening Public Services through the Empowerment of Women-Led Advocacy and Social Audit Networks
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Report to : Program Development Manager Freedom and Accountability
Duration : 1 (one) year start on September 2019 with possibility of extension
Strengthening Public services through the Empowerment of women-led Advocacy and social audit networKs (SPEAK) Program aims to institutionalize constructive and effective citizen participation in the planning and implementation of local budgets to better address structural poverty. SPEAK Program strives to achieve the goal through: (1) greater public participation in budget planning and procurement monitoring, (2) improved collaboration between local governments and civil society to prioritize and solve issues in budgeting and public procurement, and (3) conducive regulatory framework and practices of access to information and public complaint handling.
In 2018-2021 Hivos, the partners and associates empower local CSOs and women groups to advocate gender-responsive and inclusive budgets, while at the same time engage with local authorities and media to improve accountability of public procurement through community-based monitoring. The implementation of the Program is mainly in the City of Semarang and Bojonegoro Regency with national components added to it.
The Project Officer SPEAK falls under the supervision of and reports to the Program Development Manager Freedom and Accountability Southeast Asia. S/he should work closely with the Program Manager Open Contracting Program to achieve the common goal of public finance transparency and accountability.
The Project Officer will provide project leadership and be responsible for the day-to-day management including planning, implementing and monitoring of the project. The position is Jakarta-based with some intercity travels for coordination, monitoring and stakeholders’ engagement in the following areas of function:
- Project Management. Maintain high quality documentation and coordination mechanism throughout the project. This includes budget tracking, and ensuring quarterly budget expenditure is in line as per Hivos and European Union guidelines.
- Partners Relation. Maintaining the project objective through coordination with implementing partners (partners and associates) at the national and subnational level in order to achieve the highest quality standard of the project delivery.
- Capacity Development. Identify needs of the partner, associates and target groups and provide tailor made capacity development for advocacy and public engagement through research, training and exchange.
- Networking. Maintain smooth collaboration with related partners that is instrumental on project implementation
Roles and responsibilities
Coordination and Engagement
- Coordinate the implementation of the SPEAK program.
- Facilitate regular communication with the partners and associates in project implementation.
- In close coordination with the Program Manager for Open Contracting Program under the Co-Financing Agreement between EU-SPEAK program and Hivos Open Contracting Program, in particular, and all Freedom and Accountability (F&A) team, in general, to achieve F&A Program objectives and synergies across programs.
- Provide technical assistance to the partner and associates in the implementation of projects on and as needed basis.
- Ensure budget expenditure and project activities are carried out as planned
- Ensure effective post contract grant management including collection and assessment of reports, follow up, communication with and monitoring partners and associates on the ground;
- Ensure scheduled payments, and liaise with finance officer to ensure seamless grantee management and communication.
Compliance, Reporting and Administration
- Responsible to produces both narrative and financial reports in accordance with internal and external contractual and other requirements, assesses progress, analyses actual and potential risks and problems; and integrates solutions regarding work in progress in consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Monitor information and identify issues on budget and expenditure in Hivos system.
- Organize events, travel and related reporting and documentation in accordance with the standard operating procedures.
Knowledge and experience
· 3-6 year experience in project management of non-profit organizations and/or social movement
· Relevant Academic background (at least BA level) or similar in development studies, governance or another relevant field.
· Excellent written and verbal English.
· Excellent organizational and coordination skills with proactive and team player.
· Experience in managing a previous European Union project is an advantage
· Experience in working on the issue of good governance and/or women empowerment is an advantage.
· Ability to perform complex tasks and act upon priorities.
· Strong ability in performing daily administrative work in accordance with the organization procedures.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a multicultural environment.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to make sound project management judgments and analysis.
· Ability to analyses budgetary line items for compliance with budget guidelines.
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative. Project Officer SPEAK graded in Grade: 8 - 9 (from 1-12 Hivos’s SEA salary grade)