The Public Benefits Caseworker will provide assistance to Asylees, VOTs and other qualified immigrants to ensure the best possible initial services experience and comprehensive access to public benefits. These services will improve the quality of life for low income immigrants in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties by ensuring that, in the short-term, they meet their basic needs and build financial stability, allowing long-term attainment of self-sufficiency. The Caseworker will develop initial service and/or self-sufficiency plans to match individual client needs and preferences utilizing a broad range of financial, medical, social, vocational, and other services and resources based on client eligibility. The Caseworker will operate under close supervision with moderate latitude for the use of independent discernment and initiative. This position will report directly to the Site Manager.
- Screen for and identify benefits eligibility for clients based on their immigration status, income levels, and length of time in the US, and successfully enroll clients in identified public benefits.
- Provide individualized and group orientations and support clients through social service referrals, medical access and advocacy services through assessment and evaluation of each client’s distinct needs.
- Independently develop reasonable initial service and/or self-sufficiency plans and timelines for each client and manage client expectations.
- Provide comprehensive case management services to victims of human trafficking to ensure acute needs are met in a timely and culturally appropriate manner for each program participant.
- Support clients with direct assistance distribution and tracking.
- Ensure that clients are provided the basic tools necessary to meet their established short-term goals and objectives.
- Assess and monitor client progress at regular intervals to ensure progress on goals is made, designated resources are maximized, and modify initial services plans and other case file documents as required.
- Ensure compliance with case file management and reporting requirements; including timely data entry in hard-copy files and databases.
- Maintain case file documentation to conform to contract requirements as well as to reflect the needs of the individual client, including the maintenance of clear and concise case notes.
- Provide outreach and training to community partners including healthcare providers, law enforcement, educational institutions, non-profit organization and other social service agencies.
- Travel regularly throughout the service delivery area (home visits, agency visits, service provider visits etc).
- Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engage as a member of the team.
- Align with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree; ideally in Social Work or an equivalent field of study. Comparable related work experience may be substituted.
- Demonstrated relevant work experience (in addition to the above) in human services field, preferably in a non-profit or social services agency environment, experience should include provision of direct service to underserved communities.
- Prior experience working with refugee, asylee or VOT populations preferred.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member.
- Self-starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and strong keyboarding skills and internet usage and research skills.
- Excellent communication skills, with fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in one or more other languages. Spanish, Dari, Farsi, Arabic, Amharic or Tigrigna strongly desired.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.