The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Protection Team Leader and in close coordination with other protection colleagues, DRC field units, POCs and other relevant actors in Attica, the Protection Officer will be 100% field-based and will support the implementation of DRC’s protection objectives and activities.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
· Maintain a strong protection analysis of issues and trends in the protection situation within and affecting the area of deployment for programme, advocacy and management purposes.
· Maintain an oversight of services provided and available to persons of concern with whom the protection team is working in the area of deployment.
· Conduct vulnerability assessments, so as to Identify social, legal, psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs of Persons of Concern (PoC) and/or support related exercises;
· Provide referral/support to DRC legal services and external services including social benefits, NFIs, accommodation, medical appointments;
Program and team oversight and support
· Supervise and support the protection team in the implementation of agreed protection activities through provision of day-to-day support and operational guidance;
· Ensure agreed protection activities are delivered on time and to agreed standards.
· Ensure preparation of required project and work plans, in coordination with Protection Monitoring Team Leader.
· Undertake planning and provide feedback to the Protection Team Leader on procurement and logistics needs, or any issues relating to staffing.
· With the protection team, identify, advocate for and support opportunities to mainstream protection considerations into DRC or other programs.
Coordination and Representation
· Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders, including government authorities, UNHCR, KEELPNO, other organizations and service providers (including service referral focal points), and other relevant stakeholders, as well as persons of concern in the area of deployment.
· Act as a focal point for contact between DRC protection management, other DRC Attica protection teams (eg Protection Monitoring Team Leader, PSS Officer, RCM Coordinator, Legal Aid team, Protection manager, other DRC protection officers in other sites, etc), between the DRC protection team in the area of deployment and other DRC units, and with other agencies in the area of deployment.
· Ensure service mapping and effective referral pathways are kept up to date.
· Refer protection cases to relevant partners; including updating relevant databases on referrals and feedback
· Represent the DRC protection team on site level meetings when requested.
· Reporting, monitoring and evaluation
· Ensure reports are delivered on time and to agreed standards.
· Regularly monitor the progress of protection activities against project plans and timelines.
· Support and undertake program monitoring and evaluation activities, including regular activity monitoring, documentation of case studies, best practices and lessons learned, as agreed with line manager.
· Ensure sound financial management and expenditure tracking, and the preparation, delivery and filing of agreed financial documentation.
· Provide inputs for the review of DRC SOPs and other work processes and identify gaps and challenges and make recommendations for improvements.
· Contribute to continual improvements in DRC protection programming and ways of working, through identification and communication of challenges, gaps, recommendations for improvements and lessons learnt (what works well, what does not).
· Ensure to apply and comply with the information management system which is in place in the area of deployment.
· Ensure files and MOVs are maintained to agreed standards to ensure donor compliance and accountability.
· In collaboration with the Protection Monitoring Team Leader and Protection Coordinator and other colleagues, contribute to the development and design of DRC Attica’s protection program and activities.
Research, Advocacy and Communications
· Conduct or support primary and secondary research on designated topics, as agreed under the guidance of the Protection Team Leader or Protection Coordinator.
4. Required Qualifications
· Fluent Greek language skills and working knowledge of the English language are required. Additional language skills (e.g.: French, Arabic, Farsi or Kurdish languages) are a distinct advantage.
· Academic background in social work or at least 3 years working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
· Experience of community-based or community mobilization work in a humanitarian context is a strong advantage
· Strong computer skills
· High professional ethics
Core Competencies of DRC:
o Striving for excellence
o Taking the lead
o Demonstrating Integrity
5. General Regulations
· The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
· Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
· Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
· Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
· Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 22th of April 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now