UNHCR Regional Office in Riyadh is seeking applications from qualified individuals to support its activities for the following Internship opportunity:
Position Title: Protection Intern
Contract Type: Internship
Duration: 3 months (with a possible extension)
Duty Station: Abu Dhabi
The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help internally displaced persons and stateless people. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives.
The current internship opportunity is for Protection Unit in the Regional office in Abu Dhabi, Uni.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Protection Unit researching and systematizing country of origin information (COI).
- Carry out legal research on international refugee law and international human rights law;
- Organize, file and maintain the Protection Unit’s files and folders regarding different protection subjects;
- Answer the office’s phone when needed and provide the callers with relevant information
- Translate reports and documents from English to Arabic or vice versa.
Minimum qualifications required:
- Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school program from a university or higher education facility; and have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the Organization.
- Practical understanding of the region and the UAE situation;
- Excellent working knowledge of EXCEL, WORD and POWER POINT software;
- Strong analytical writing skills;
- Capable of working both on own initiative and as a part of a team;
- Capable of working to deadlines;
- Adaptability to work in an international and multicultural environment;
- Adaptability to work with vulnerable individuals;
- Capacity to professionally deal with confidential and sensitive information.