Under the general guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), UNDP Jamaica, the Projects Coordinator is responsible for a) Development and Implementation of the HIV Programme inclusive of Coordination of Social Protection Activities b) Development and Implementation of Social Cohesion Programme c) Mobilization of resources and partnerships through proposal writing and other mechanisms.
The Projects Coordinator works in close collaboration with the Programme team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme formulation, implementation and resource mobilization.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Within the Citizen Security, Safety and Justice portfolio, formulation, coordination and implementation of projects on Social Cohesion
- Implementation of projects under the HIV and Social Protection portfolio
- Mobilization of resources and partnerships through proposal writing and other mechanisms
1. Formulation, coordination and implementation of projects on Social Cohesion
- Development of Project Documents and Work Plans;
- Plan and implement activities related to Social Cohesion/Community Rejuvenation;
- Organize planning meetings with internal and external actors for coordinating key actions necessary for the project results;
- Ensure project oversight and monitoring to deliver results;
- Prepare financial and project narrative reports.
2. Implementation of projects under the HIV and Social Protection portfolio
- Plan and implement activities related to HIV and legal aid, HIV and Social Protection and HIV and legal reform issues;
- Sensitization of Parliamentarians, policy makers and other key government officials on key HIV policy issues;
- Organize planning meetings with internal and external actors for coordinating actions to support legal reform initiatives;
- Liaise with Programme team, particularly the Project Management Unit of the Global Fund Project on programme synergies.
- Prepare financial and project narrative reports.
3. Mobilization of resources and partnerships through proposal writing and other
- Preparation of funding proposals for submission to donors and internal UNDP funding facilities and other trust funds.
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission, vision and values of the United Nations.
- Shows sensitivity and adaptability to work with gender differential approach.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with people at different levels in different cultures.
- Ability to work in team and collaboration in their area of responsibility.
Leadership and self-management
- Skills to respond in a timely manner to the demands of complex environments.
- Focuses on outcomes and responds positively to the feedback.
- Demonstrates a positive and constructive attitude.
- Capacity for adaptation to work under conditions of pressure and risks.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complex situations.
- Demonstrates effective skills of oral and written communication.
- Sets targets and clear standards, running their responsibilities in keeping with this.
Result Orientation and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates the ability to perform a variety of tasks related to the management of the results.
- Capacity of programming, planning and work by results.
- Uses information technologies effectively as a tool and resource, in particular Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Uses its analytical capabilities using the gender perspective to understand the business contexts.
Planning and Organizing
- Demonstrated openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal examples.
- Capacity to work under tight deadlines, manage stress and adapt to rapidly evolving situations.
- Demonstrate well developed people management and organizational skills.
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including ability to produce high quality practical advisory reports and knowledge products.
- Ability to consolidate information from multiple sources.
- Able to prepare strategic information for decision makers in concise and attractive manner.
Project and Resource Management
- Ability to produce high quality outputs in a timely manner while understanding and anticipating the evolving client needs.
- Ability to focus on impact and results for the client, promoting and demonstrating an ethic of client service.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, produce high quality outputs.
- Sound judgment, strategic thinking and the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Mature judgment and initiative.
Communications and Advocacy:
- Strong ability to write clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences and speak clearly and convincingly.
- Strong capacity to communicate clearly and quickly.
- Strong inter-personal, negotiation and liaison skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, sharing information and coordinating efforts within the team and various stakeholders
Master’s Degree or equivalent in public health, Human Rights, or a relevant Social Science.
5 years of relevant experience or 7 years’ experience with a Bachelors Degree at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design and management of development projects. Experience in HIV and Project Management. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English
Contract Duration: 1 year (renewal)