CARE International is an international NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement. The Somalia NGO Consortium promotes information sharing, cooperation and joint advocacy initiatives among local and international NGOs working in all regions in Somalia. This recruitment is managed through CARE Somalia.
CARE is seeking applications from qualified and talented candidates for the position of Project Support Officer for the Somalia NGO Consortium based in Mogadishu with at least travel to the field offices in Somalia.
1. Background of Somalia NGO Consortium
The Somalia NGO Consortium is a voluntary mechanism that brings together local and international NGOs working in Somalia to encourage information sharing, cooperation, coordination and joint advocacy in order to better work together to improve the lives of Somalis affected by conflict, natural disasters, poverty. The Consortium aims to facilitate a more coherent NGO voice and assist NGO members to channel their concerns and suggestions to appropriate decision makers in the most effective format. Having already established itself in Nairobi, Garowe and Hargeisa, the NGO Consortium is in the process of establishing its presence in Mogadishu to better serve the needs of members present.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Director, the Project Support Officer will ensure effective and efficient functioning of the Director’s office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines. The Project Support Officer will work in close collaboration with NGO Consortium Team in Somalia and Kenya to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions and agendas.
1. Key Responsibilities
The Project Support Officer is a national position and reports to the Director and is part of the Somalia NGO Consortium team with offices in Mogadishu, Hargeisa, Garowe and Nairobi.
Under the day-to-day supervision and direction of the Director, the major responsibilities of are as follows;
- Assist the Director manage multiple priorities and stay on schedule.
- Coordinate and manage the Director’s diary.
- Making appointments and travel arrangements for the Director. Maintains executive's appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel
- Prepare first draft of documents, speeches, letters and reports – proofread work produced; edit and review documents drafted by others for dissemination by Director.
- Managing the Director’s emails and letters including summarising, distribution and follow up for action.
- Doing the logistics of the NGO Consortium Staff meetings.
- Recording and preparing the NGO Consortium staff meetings proceedings and minutes.
Prepare and send NGO Consortium e-bulletins on weekly or bi-weekly basis.
Preparing and disseminating materials for meetings and conferences.
Establish and maintain filing and records management systems to maximise information flow
Maintain and renew membership records in collaboration with the Membership u& Communications Assistant
Take action authorized during Director’s absence and use initiative and judgement to see that matters requiring attention are referred to the delegated authority or handled to minimize effect of Director’s absence.
Performing other work-related duties as assigned by the Director.
The Project Support Officer will also support the Senior Finance & Admin Officer as follows:
Manage the petty cash:
Ensure that supporting documents/signatures are valid.
Prepare petty cash vouchers.
Be responsible for petty cash held in the office.
Prepare Petty Cash Form, and request additional cash as necessary.
Carry out cash count every two weeks.
Undertake any other duties that may be requested by the Finance Officer and Deputy Director.
Contract: One year with possibility of extension.
Duty station: The position is based in Mogadishu with travel to different regions in Somalia. Somalia is a hazardous environment and the selected candidate must adhere to security precautions and contribute to the security of the team.
2. Required Qualifications (minimum requirements)
- Bachelor degree and National Diploma in Business Management or equivalent experience that demonstrates similar capacity
- Must have high level of diplomacy and ability to keep confidential information.
- Excellent written and spoken English – good grammar, spelling
- Should exercise high level of interpersonal skills, excellent organisation skills, problem solving, trust, confidentiality
- Ability to use one’s judgement, ability to collect, synthesize and report information including recommendations for action
- Proven experience in development and maintenance of multi-stakeholder’s networks and proactive coordination experience
- Proven experience in high quality production of reports and analysis.
- Good computer skills
Skills and Competences:
- Excellent communication, coordination and representational skills
- Capacity to deliver in structured and timely manner within set deadlines
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of initiative and engagement. Demonstrated capacity to recognize when and where proactive action is required and to initiate timely and appropriate action
- Excellent interpersonal skills and diplomacy and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff and other stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team and to coordinate with diverse stakeholders
Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
He/she must be able to exercise a large degree of common sense and personal discipline. He/she must also display a high degree of diplomacy and personal integrity and at all times abide to working principles including impartiality and neutrality in all actions and work towards fulfilling the Consortium Mandate.
The position requires the holder to be able to undertake tasking at short notice with due regard to the security environment. It requires a high degree of flexibility with respect to working hours.
Decision Making Authority: Ability to make authorized decisions on behalf of the Director